Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Yi 2 4K Action Camera The Best Action Camera Ever Period Discussion Review

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Please Read carefully that this camera files failed to edit for me and I am returning the product.

Yi 2 4K Action camera Site

Welcome All. About May 2016 Xiaomi Reaches out and offers a number of camera's to the Market, asking for feedback. And looks like the first 4k newest chip camera is out, the Companies name Yi (Yee) 2 for its 2nd generation or 2nd camera? Yi 2 4K Action camera.

Yi Technology, Young Innovations

Present time you see many reviews calling this a GoPro Killer Action Camera. The Camera is retailing at a Sale price of $250.00 and some discounting $5.00 off (give or take) also find prices hitting around $300.00. No secret where these camera are offered. Amazon, Ebay and other online sites. Doing my own research, like every one out there I am looking for the best camera money can buy?

So I start my Search. Seeing Xiaomi before the Yi I had no interest at all, when [MENTION=11728]regdawg[/MENTION] made this topic I was very quick to to put down, and later to give a chance. They say Action speaks louder than words, lets see down the road as I get into the review over time. Many reviews are to promote the camera offer their WOW.

As I started to search around, watch many video's, collecting some reward points to bring down my personal purchase, I did just that made one. I made mine off Amazon.com I hesitated on it about a number of times, reasons:

1. Seeing this Selfie stick was not offered on todays models, only the reviewers gotten the unreleased model, maybe in the near future this will be a release?

2. Remote control and battery

3. actual box and order

I do not need a selfie stick but be nice to have the Yi one on no. 1 and also be great to have a spare battery and remote, I decided down the road I can get them for the price offered, I found the parts needed if I wanted to order later that adds up to the price I purchased for. Again as I keep searching the price again dropped 5 cents more, Lol. I placed my order with Yi of Amazon then a 4th party for reasons being Safe, no issues if I want to return.

Camera in Stock Free Shipping chosen, no tax $250.00 discount rewards $90.00 making my all time purchase $160.00.

As I wait for my camera, my review will be not the first out there. It will be quite different. If anyone has any questions, ask Please do not hesitate to ask

Will this be the Gopro Killer or The Best Action Camera Ever Period? From Crowd Funder to officially released, will see?
Fish

Last edited:

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Pro's & Cons

Mods, accessories future info

1, Gimbal Mod

2. Lens Mod F2.8 3.87mm 16M 90° FOV replacement lens for Git2/Hero4 - GitUp Action Camera

3 Yi 2 4k 90 degree view Model rumor

Troubles reported:

1 Bluetooth shutter remote no longer works after a firmware udate, support works with a new FW 1.14 declairs camera faulty
2 Micro sd card failure
3 camera fails to boot

Firmware:
Latest firrmware 1.20 Beta firmware

7/18/16 Firmware version 1.0.12 out, fixes some memory card issues and adds housing mode that allows camera modes to be changed with a long press.

7/28/16 Firmware Version 1.0.13 is out. Yi has added "Yi color" and "flat" color modes. Very similar to Protune mode on my hero 4 black edition.

8/5/16 Firmware Version 1.1.0 is out. The start-up screen has been updated with a list of recommended​ MicroSD cards and a sharpness setting has been added.

if earlier versions are shipped you will get a reminder in a short time to update.

Last edited:

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
Yi 2 4K Action camera Site

Welcome All. About May 2016 Xiaomi Reaches out and offers a number of camera's to the Market, asking for feedback. And looks like the first 4k newest chip camera is out, the Companies name Yi (Yee) 2 for its 2nd generation or 2nd camera? Yi 2 4K Action camera.

Present time you see many reviews calling this a GoPro Killer Action Camera. The Camera is retailing at a Sale price of $250.00 and some discounting $5.00 off (give or take) also find prices hitting around $300.00. No secret where these camera are offered. Amazon, Ebay and other online sites. Doing my own research, like every one out there I am looking for the best camera money can buy?

So I start my Search. Seeing Xiaomi before the Yi I had no interest at all, when [MENTION=11728]regdawg[/MENTION] made this topic I was very quick to to put down, and later to give a chance. They say Action speaks louder than words, lets see down the road as I get into the review over time. Many reviews are to promote the camera offer their WOW.

As I started to search around, watch many video's, collecting some reward points to bring down my personal purchase, I did just that made one. I made mine off Amazon.com I hesitated on it about a number of times, reasons:

snip

I do not need a selfie stick but be nice to have the Yi one on no. 1 and also be great to have a spare battery and remote, I decided down the road I can get them for the price offered, I found the parts needed if I wanted to order later that adds up to the price I purchased for. Again as I keep searching the price again dropped 5 cents more, Lol. I placed my order with Yi of Amazon then a 4th party for reasons being Safe, no issues if I want to return.

Camera in Stock Free Shipping chosen, no tax $250.00 discount rewards $90.00 making my all time purchase $160.00.

As I wait for my camera, my review will be not the first out there. It will be quite different. If anyone has any questions, ask Please do not hesitate to ask

Will this be the Gopro Killer or The Best Action Camera Ever Period

Fish

Yep I've been researching this camera recently, too. Seems to be a better than a GoPro 4 in many respects. However, I do not think it has different FOVs. I use "narrow" in 1080 almost exclusively. So that's a minus for me. But there looks to be a simple and inexpensive lens changeout that narrows the FOV.

The Hero 5 better be a compelling choice when it comes out. Or I may be getting one or two of these. Heck at that price I may get one anyway.

Bill

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Yep I've been researching this camera recently, too. Seems to be a better than a GoPro 4 in many respects. However, I do not think it has different FOVs. I use "narrow" in 1080 almost exclusively. So that's a minus for me. But there looks to be a simple and inexpensive lens changeout that narrows the FOV.

The Hero 5 better be a compelling choice when it comes out. Or I may be getting one or two of these. Heck at that price I may get one anyway.

Bill
Thanks Bill for showing interest:

The Lens swap runs $36.00 I will link it in later. Rumors have it Yi will offer a 90 degree Model in the near future? Speculations. To do the swap should not be hard, if we take the time to set up.

Fish

T

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Update: Shipped finally. Watched most the video's on Yt. Hearing some that gopro resembles this camera. hearing nothing but positive info found online, and some negative. GoPro wants to be first, gopro or any company for that matter wants to be first, some will go to extremes, copying, passing off as their own etc.. I have not ordered anything but the camera, love to get a lens protector , uv or CPL one. One thing I am going to do is some mods and see how they go? Can not wait till the camera is in hand and go from there?

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
As Promised:

Camera came in hand wowed! Like any product out there, always going to be ups & downs, nothing to back. I quickly put together a review I felt needed to be made. I wanted to purchase an item just for this and that and I know I will have to Edit it in? but to much in one shot may not be great but is needed? Again WOWED! so Maybe I will hold off and go from there? I need to now learn the camera. should not be to hard. one thing I notice it remembers the last setting when turned off.

So I am just bench testing some:

1. Something is not right, and what can that be wait and see. its happiness.

A camera on just letting it get warm. gopro gets warmer faster. Does it get hotter I am sure it does and that I will say gopro wins on keeping you warmer!

B set to timelapse. camera remembers last setting. Gopro well not really

C Timelapse test Display ALLOWS live view. GoPro does not will check app later

D how fast to record when on Yi you can not press record quickly after start up, will say busy but you can press again and its FAST. Gopro SLOWER

E PNY 4K U3 64gb card works no hiccups with a quick test. gopro no hiccups fair test.

For now that is it.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012

First day out. I thought I share a video. I noticed the orientation it is there. This is hd1080 ultra. Just right. Not to Suer wide. 3 ft away arms length. I have time lapse in 4K video in 4K and will get out later just talking

For my first day. It won't be my last but I feel my GoPro is going to be sitting on the side lines sooner or later

Any questions ask

fish

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
First day out. I thought I share a video. I noticed the orientation it is there. This is hd1080 ultra. Just right. Not to Suer wide. 3 ft away arms length. I have time lapse in 4K video in 4K and will get out later just talking

For my first day. It won't be my last but I feel my GoPro is going to be sitting on the side lines sooner or later

Any questions ask

fish
Am curious what the Yi 4K bitrate is in 4K. Compared to the GoPro 4B.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
To all I do apologize about the review I have failed to get any files to correctly edit. I am crashing and this forces me to return the camera. I had a Polaroid cube Plus I returned due to issues like this.

The bit rate is 61mbbs. I will print screen and check a few files. for you

LOl I am using gopro studio to edit what a laugh. Personally I rather use my own editor but still I am a stubborn person return use th hero 4 BE and move on. live and learn

Last edited:

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
To all I do apologize about the review I have failed to get any files to correctly edit. I am crashing and this forces me to return the camera. I had a Polaroid cube Plus I returned due to issues like this.

The bit rate is 61mbbs. I will print screen and check a few files. for you

LOl I am using gopro studio to edit what a laugh. Personally I rather use my own editor but still I am a stubborn person return use th hero 4 BE and move on. live and learn
Hmmm. What editor was crashing with the Yi 4K files?

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Magix movie edit pro 2016 and Cyberlink Powerdirector 14Ultimaa. Funny how i am converting it with gopro studio toavi only, willnot allow to mov.

My mistake was not asking a person to share a file so I can try out. the killer is As I am converting with GPS I am working on 4k video of the gopro in Magix. Lol I kid you not.

It did not make a difference if HD1080 or 4K it just crashed it.

Only a timelapse worked Lol

Update one crash on gopro studio, so I am laughing I understand isues can come about and it is what it is

Last edited:

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
1920x1080 Res just under 2gb at 46 plus mbbs other files the same res same bitrate. 4K 290mb
60mbbs

As i connected my cam to laptop the filing system i did not like timelapse, video and photo to me i like what i shot in order not photos, video, but gopro and most cams just do that today..

Wished this worked out? but honestly i got many cams, another one puts the last used one to the side if you know what i mean.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
So this is what is happening I finally am ready to edit and I chased down the UPS guy- no just kidding. I held onto the camera just one and the Black will show more prints but who knows white may show dirt. Why I changed my mind that fast and fast again , Just wait for the video!!!!

Sorry guys you will have to wait and see/ 4K editing works for me just not raw footage 60mbbs I think may be a killer!!!

Last edited:

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
14 hours later and waiting for Youtube to process to 4K while it is on Hd1080P. I need to correct two small things and rendering to a different format to see if Youtube likes it better...

Contacted and explained to Yi my issue they said you can not play back. where I explained my history .... again awaiting their help. As I keep this review going sit back relax and enjoy

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
update:

PowerDirector 14 Ultimate is working for me. while Magix editor fails. so I am happy. I got a fullr efund like that for my model and I got one to use.

Some issues I see were Ghosting with the wi-fi. could the area, heat just a fluke, no. did it affect the video. I have to watch and see my notes in the shot . if I do not see anything it is a glitch. Heck did not gopro have these issues when they released a camera, Lol.

great job fish great to hear

Fish