Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Which microphone to use with original Gopro HD Hero?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

PunaRager

Dec 24, 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
Hey new member here. I have an original gopro HD hero and love the video it shoots, only problem is that the sound quality is just terrible. I mostly do motor sports activities with the gopro and I can't ever hear the engine (wind noise). I would like to run a separate mic to pick up sound better. I realize that the original HD hero doesn't have an external mic plug in like the later cameras do, so I will have to run a separate external mic and edit the sound into the video later. What are some options for brand and model of mic that others have had good results with?

psyro

Dec 27, 2014
If you have a iphone you are almost there. The mic in an iphone is of great quality. Just hit record, put it with the mic with the wind and go.

And you could buy a iphone holders for your handebar this way you have al the controle at hand.

PunaRager

Dec 24, 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
I guess I should have clarified that by motorsports I mean racing cars and dune buggies. I'm not going to attemt to mount my iPhone on my rear bumper by the exhaust and hope it stays there while I thrash around on the track...and my buggy is even worse (it has already claimed three iPhones from people's pockets.) I'm looking for a dedicated mic in which the pickup mic is separate from the recording unit itself (either on a long wire or wireless) so it can be easily located and secured without risking loss of the whole unit.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
The ear piece is a mic port, 3.5mm, extended cable, mic and done.He had theanswer clearly, just did not see it I guess?

PunaRager

Dec 24, 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
The ear piece is a mic port, 3.5mm, extended cable, mic and done.He had theanswer clearly, just did not see it I guess?
Hey you were helping me on the other forum. I didn't realize before that the headphone jack is mic in as well. Now reading his post again it makes sense. Sorry but I'm pretty clueless about audio electronics. Thanks for all your help

PunaRager

Dec 24, 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
Ok so i got this Movo lavalier mic from Amazon that is specifically for use with a gopro.

Movo GM100 Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone for GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ & HERO4 Black, White & Silver Editions:Amazon:Musical Instruments

It has an adapter that plugs into the usb on the side of the gopro and accepts the 3.5 mm jack from the mic. My gopro has this usb port for charging... will this allow me to use the mic with directly with the gopro? Or is the original HD hero not able to do this? I have not had the chance to test this yet...

I tried this mic on my iphone and it doesn't work... the phone keeps using only the built in mic. I tired looking thru settings on my iphone and I cant see anything to disable the built in mic or choose to use the movo mic that is plugged into the head phone jack. Do I need a special app?

PunaRager

Dec 24, 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
No I have not figured it out yet. The movo mic I bought is just sitting there... I hate iPhones to be honest, they are such piles of crap. The other users above made it sound like it was just plug and play, but obviously it's not. Maybe I got the wrong type of mic? Idk... Im too busy lately and haven't had a chance to mess with it further.