Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

What Recording Mode To Use Please

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

BikerMan

Sep 20, 2019
Hi,
I have a Hero 4 Silver and would like to know what recommended video record mode to use when riding my motorbike. I would ideally like to use the looping mode so that the GoPro never stops recording. However, I don't know what duration to use. Whilst on a bike ride I would ideally like to record all of the ride. I am not sure what the various time modes (5, 10, 20mins etc) mean whilst recording. If I set it to 5mins looping does that mean the GoPro will record lots of 5min segments and then when Full it will start overwriting them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS
What is the best resolution mode for motorbike riding...........1080 Wide..............???

Many thanks

PPS
Hello to everyone,
I am new to this forum and over time hope to glean lots of knowledge on the use of my Hero 4 Silver.

Last edited:

blmeanie

Feb 4, 2013
the first question is how long is a ride? The battery and type of micro sd card will determine if you need to do anything other than hit "record" and at the end stop.

I have recorded with my older 3+ silver for around an hour uninterrupted. If your ride is longer, yeah you would have to figure something out.

Good luck.

Hi,
I have a Hero 4 Silver and would like to know what recommended video record mode to use when riding my motorbike. I would ideally like to use the looping mode so that the GoPro never stops recording. However, I don't know what duration to use. Whilst on a bike ride I would ideally like to record all of the ride. I am not sure what the various time modes (5, 10, 20mins etc) mean whilst recording. If I set it to 5mins looping does that mean the GoPro will record lots of 5min segments and then when Full it will start overwriting them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS
What is the best resolution mode for motorbike riding...........1080 Wide..............???

Many thanks

PPS
Hello to everyone,
I am new to this forum and over time hope to glean lots of knowledge on the use of my Hero 4 Silver.

BikerMan

Sep 20, 2019
the first question is how long is a ride? The battery and type of micro sd card will determine if you need to do anything other than hit "record" and at the end stop.

I have recorded with my older 3+ silver for around an hour uninterrupted. If your ride is longer, yeah you would have to figure something out.

Good luck.
Many thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I should have said, I have got my GoPro hard wired into my bike's power so battery life is not an issue. The SD card also gives me approx 4hrs 10mins continuous recording time and the bike rides I go on generally last all day. So 6+ hours.
I was more wondering about the looping set up as to whether to set it to 'max' or 5, 10, 20mins etc. I am not sure if I were to set it, for example, to '10mins looping', would the GoPro continuously record 10 minute segments and then when it has reached it's capacity just rewrite over the first segment and carry on recording..............???

Jatekman

Dec 21, 2017
Germany
Yes I guess this is the intention from the looping mode- record the choiced time and then overwrite it again and again.
Feel free to do some tests, I never used this mode.

Ciao Rob