Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

What camera to bring on vacation along with my gopro?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

tommyjerzboy

Feb 22, 2014
Northern NJ
Looking for another camera to bring on vacation besides my GoPro3+ black? I'm not sure what to get something with the flash if I wanted to take pictures at night something somewhat compact it doesn't have to be a D SLR, because I'm not sure if the GoPro will fit all my needs and it's always good to have a second camera for backup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was actually looking at the new Nikon 1 V3, but not sure if that's overkill I was even looking at the new Nikon COOLPIX AW 120?

alexknight

Feb 20, 2014
www.facebook.com
I've had bad experience with the Nikon waterproof cameras, basically they weren't waterproof and I only used them in the pool

Personally I'd go for something like the Nikon v1/2

The_Greg

Jan 9, 2014
Depending on what you want to capture on your vacation, you might not need another camera. However, I would recommend you get a cheap Canon point and shoot and hack it with CHDK, which basically gives you full control over everything about the camera (and you can do time lapses with it, and even play games if you are so inclined to modify it that way!). Buy it now (make sure the model is compatible with CHDK) so you have time to learn CHDK before you go on vacation.

I just got back from Costa Rica and only had my GoPro. The only time I had wished I still had my (now sold) Nikon D80 was when I wanted to take pictures of the wild life, and any point and shoot could have sufficed in that situation. Instead I got creative and still found ways to capture the wildlife. Home-made trekking GoPole for $15 works wonders, as does luring iguanas right up to the camera with pieces of Chicken :)

I recommend against the Nikon 1 because of the great points made here. Interchangeable lenses on a point and shoot, DSLR hybrid camera are enticing but its sort of like investing in Mega Blocks when Legos are such a better product with really great licensing. There are so many great lenses (made by Nikon's lens company and outside companies) for DSLRs that wont work on the Nikon 1, and the lenses that are for the Nikon 1 have no chance of being as great as ones you could get for a true DSLR. Skip the 1, buy a used D90 or D5000 and a couple of great lenses. You will even end up cheaper than the 1 and have a better camera. OR, save about a thousand dollars and just get a point and shoot!

Last edited:

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
I get something for sure with some optical zoom, you may never know the gopro is not the best Low level camera at night, do n ot just go get it b4 you go on vacation, and expect to learn it, unless you take your DSLr

huego4

Mar 12, 2015
far north queensland
hi,
I'm trying to find a good equal to Gopro 4 black picture quality camera for tele/macro/general photo/video on the boat & in the bush. I like the weather proofing of the Olympus OMD's but they don't go above 1920x1080. The FZ1000 is apparenly not very sturdy nor is the RX10. Is there anything in the $1000 - $1500 range ? The GH4 gets too pricey once you add lenses. Perhaps anything above full HD is simply overrated ?
What cameras are some of you using with your Gopros' ?
regards
HH

bcharlow

Sep 26, 2014
vacation cameras

Looking for another camera to bring on vacation besides my GoPro3+ black? I'm not sure what to get something with the flash if I wanted to take pictures at night something somewhat compact it doesn't have to be a D SLR, because I'm not sure if the GoPro will fit all my needs and it's always good to have a second camera for backup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was actually looking at the new Nikon 1 V3, but not sure if that's overkill I was even looking at the new Nikon COOLPIX AW 120?
I won't recommend a specific camera, rather that you think about your probable vacation pix styles. Gopros are super wide angle and there's very little you can do to change that. So for closeups of people, macro, telephoto views, the Gopro simply won't do. That's the realm of a good regular videocam or DSLR or point and shoot that has very good optical zoom and additional digital zoom. Any of those will complement your Gopro nicely. The rest is price and desired features.
Some good extra features are: light weight and small, shock and water proof, very good low light and quality optical zoom (more than digital), the megapixel strength that you want (which won't always be the equivalent of 4K, BTW!) Every camera will have its strengths and weaknesses and you'll make a compromise somewhere, so don't make yourself nuts. They'll all be obsolete within a year.

nepalisherpa

Mar 30, 2015
Texas
If your goal is to just take some fun vacation pictures that you will post/share on the internet and you are not planning on printing any of those pictures then just take your GoPro. Instead of another camera, take extra memory cards/batteries with you.