Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

What batteries should I get?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

alanapone

Jan 12, 2014
Warrington, UK
As the title really. What batteries are available these days for these cameras? I have an original one but think a couple of spares would be handy.

Also, am I right in thinking that the WiFi bacpac's work with these versions as well? and if so can I then use the mobile app to control the camera?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Alan.

Taff

Jan 28, 2014
... What batteries are available these days for these cameras? I have an original one but think a couple of spares would be handy.
I'm in the exact same boat as you.

I've heard very good reports about Wasabi batteries, but they're not widely available in the UK. I know Hobby Mounts (in Cornwall) said they were hoping to sell them at one time, but I don't know how it's going. I have seen Wasabi batteries advertised on amazon but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Last edited:

alanapone

Jan 12, 2014
Warrington, UK
I'm in the exact same boat as you.

I've heard very good reports about Wasabi batteries, but they're not widely available in the UK. I know Hobby Mounts (in Cornwall) said they were hoping to sell them at one time, but I don't know how it's going. I have seen Wasabi batteries advertised on amazon but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I found them on Amazon but they are listed as "currently out of stock and don't know if were restocking" !!! wtf!! Why bother listing at all if your not going to restock!? I might have to just try some others and put them on my works discharge tester to check the Ah ratings. :D

nmkawierider

Dec 9, 2012
NM, USA

Taff

Jan 28, 2014
I just picked these up to replace one failed wasabi and one gopro batteries. Has the highest mAh and Wh rating I have seen yet.
Right. Confession time; I have no idea what mAh and Wh ratings mean.

Can someone please explain it in a simple way that even a Labrador could understand. ;)

I found them on Amazon but they are listed as "currently out of stock and don't know if were restocking" !!! wtf!! Why bother listing at all if your not going to restock!? I might have to just try some others and put them on my works discharge tester to check the Ah ratings. :D
I would rather buy in this country, BUT if they're not available in this country I may just buy from the US and just choose a company that will post internationally. I did that with my Leatherman and it worked a treat.

Last edited:

alanapone

Jan 12, 2014
Warrington, UK
Right. Confession time; I have no idea what mAh and Wh ratings mean.

Can someone please explain it in a simple way that even a Labrador could understand. ;)

I would rather buy in this country, BUT if they're not available in this country I may just buy from the US and just choose a company that will post internationally. I did that with my Leatherman and it worked a treat.
I don't mAh is milli-amp hours so basically how powerful the battery is. Higher the rating at the same voltage the better. Wh I think will be Watt-hours so a similar the to mAh.

alanapone

Jan 12, 2014
Warrington, UK
I just picked these up to replace one failed wasabi and one gopro batteries. Has the highest mAh and Wh rating I have seen yet. Have not tried them yet but hoping for a full hour per battery with wifi on my H3B.

Amazon.com : Smatree® Ultra-Power Li-Polymer Newest Rechargeable Battery(2-Pack) and Smatree 2nd Generation Slim Dual Channel Charger Kit features a foldable US and European plug+ 3.1A/15.5W Dual USB Car Charger for GoPro HD HERO3, HERO3+, Replacemen
Thanks for that but I'm looking for batteries for an origional GoPro Hero not a 3 or 3+... Their are tons for them so wouldn't need to ask hahaha.

Oh and the mAh and wattage on that link refers to the charger. The batteries are standard power from the looks of it.

Last edited:

Arimaguy

Jun 1, 2014
State of Washington
Also, am I right in thinking that the WiFi bacpac's work with these versions as well? and if so can I then use the mobile app to control the camera?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Alan.
WiFi bacpac will not work with the mobile app on GoPro versions previous to Hero2. Will only connect to the WiFi remote. I bought one hopeing to have remote preview on my HD Hero. Can't do it.

Alan (also)

alanapone

Jan 12, 2014
Warrington, UK
WiFi bacpac will not work with the mobile app on GoPro versions previous to Hero2. Will only connect to the WiFi remote. I bought one hopeing to have remote preview on my HD Hero. Can't do it.

Alan (also)
Thanks for the info Arimaguy. That saves me a lot of money... Or means I need to spend more for a gp2 hahaha