Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Video goes bad

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

larry31

Jan 8, 2013
I have a Hero-2 camera. Every once in a while my video will go from normal filming to a screen that's ( Left half is video, but is real dark. Almost impossible to see any detail. The right half is just white.) The video stays that way until I stop recording normally.

This just happened to me while recording a motorcycle ride through the woods. I had clipped several small branches, so I stopped to check alignment of the camera which was mounted on my helmet. The video was OK while I removed my helmet, and was holding it. I was just starting to put the helmet on when the video changed to half screen, as described above. There was no impact at all when it changed. Just normal movement of placing the helmet over my head.

This has happened before under different conditions. No impact to camera in those situations. This is a rare occurrence, but it does happen.

Any one experience this? Any ideas why it happens. ( Normal video suddenly changes to left half dark, and right half just white.)

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Do you think a loose ribbon cable inside the camera can cause issues? I remember when if a ribbon cable is not 100% on the video can be playing fine to the issues you described? And that was jost the lcd screen being loose, the cable?

If you are at home bench test your camera , but sample shots wit hthe GoPro app ( something like the poster was saying) (try the app)

dtbprc

Mar 5, 2014
both my hero 2's do not have LCD- have to add on the LCD bacpac option- is that what you have installed?

larry31

Jan 8, 2013
using lcd screen option? take it off and see if it goes away
I do NOT have a LCD back. I DO have a Remote back.
This happened while inside a clear GoPro sealed case. Not subject to movement as far as I can tell.