Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Video Converting

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Trey Norcross

Jan 7, 2013
I have been shooting a lot of videos with my Hero 3B and I love it. Since I am running an older MacBook Pro (2009) I am having to convert the videos from MP4 format to MOV format to view and edit them. I normally shoot in 1080p - 60fps and my question is am I sacrificing quality by switching these videos between the two formats or are the different formats the same quality? The converter I am using is MPEG StreamClip. I am also putting the video into apple prores 422. If I sounds like a complete idiot and need to re-word any of this just let me know. Thanks for any advice.

Trey

RipGroove99

Sep 10, 2012
The whole converting process has me baffled too, only info i can give you is to download a program called MediaInfo, open your orignal video (straight from the camera) in that and it'll give you lots of quality info about the video, then do whatever converting you have to do and then open the final converted video in MediaInfo and compare the specs to that of your original video. You'll then see what you've lost. I think the key is to mainly observe stream rate and file size.

Tavhale

Dec 6, 2012
Apple ProRes 422 is an editing codec, and is considered a visually loss-less format. This means that converting your files from say h.264 to ProRes 422 will produce a visually identical copy of the original file. Mp4 format uses heavy compression and greatly reduces the amount of space a file takes up on a memory card. This is great because you can fit tons of video on a smaller card, however, it takes a lot of processing power to decode these highly compressed files for playback on a computer. I have an old MBP and have no choice but to convert all my files to ProRes 422 to watch them on my computer--it simply doesn't have the power to render gopro's output mp4 files on the fly. Moreover, it's essential to convert these files for editing.

Last edited:

Horence

May 18, 2017
To video convert, if you have purchased movies/TV shows from iTunes store, you may know all iTunes videos are encrypted with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. Fortunately, now you can use a DRM removal tool like iTunes M4V Video Converter to remove DRM protection and convert videos from M4V to MP4 and multiple compatible formats with lossless quality. After conversion, it will be much easier for you to enjoy all these videos on any devices without limitation. Check more info at: https://www.tuneskit.com