Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Very bad center image quality (pic attached)

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Nurburgring

Sep 28, 2015
Hi guys,
My Hero3+ has this problem. Updated firmware, tried re-focusing, nothing has helped. Any ideas :thinking:

Resized full frame and 100% crop pictures attached showing the problem. Thanks!

GOPR0026.jpg

GOPR00262.jpg

Run-4-Life

Apr 29, 2015
Either you are out of focus or your lens is scratched. As Long as you didn't get it wet I believe it is your lens, had the same problem. Replaced the lens. 30 minutes process with proper tools, lens are unprotected and easy to damage. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Could it be oil from the finger, did you clean the lens? Before going any repair route, you said it worked fine prior to an update, so did you revert back to see?

Nurburgring

Sep 28, 2015
Either you are out of focus or your lens is scratched. As Long as you didn't get it wet I believe it is your lens, had the same problem. Replaced the lens. 30 minutes process with proper tools, lens are unprotected and easy to damage. Good luck
The lens has no visible damage, not even a scratch. Your lens also showed no signs of damage? I did try different focus settings, it did not help. Maybe I`ll try changing the lens.

Could it be oil from the finger, did you clean the lens? Before going any repair route, you said it worked fine prior to an update, so did you revert back to see?
Yes, the lens has been cleaned properly. Firmware updates have no impact. It has been used on a drone and has sustained some falls so it`s probably related to some impact damage (even though it has always been inside the housing).

Run-4-Life

Apr 29, 2015
The lens has no visible damage, not even a scratch. Your lens also showed no signs of damage? I did try different focus settings, it did not help. Maybe I`ll try changing the lens.
Yes, you could see scratches, mine were noticeable. You could go along that route and if problem persists return the lens. Lol cause you know it's something else. Image sensor? Maybe. Replace and check. Lol

Nurburgring

Sep 28, 2015
Yes, you could see scratches, mine were noticeable. You could go along that route and if problem persists return the lens. Lol cause you know it's something else. Image sensor? Maybe. Replace and check. Lol
Considering the price for lenses and the fact that it may not be the actual problem, I`m thinking I`ll just have to buy another one. A new, completo Hero4 basic is the same price as just the lens for the Hero3+! I know it`s not the same quality sensor but it should suffice.

Is the Image without the case of the main post?
Yes, without the case.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
a excellent choice, can alwayssell the used one. like said exam closer to be certain sad to see it that way?

Run-4-Life

Apr 29, 2015
What? The lens is 24.99? Where are you buying your lens from?

Nurburgring

Sep 28, 2015
What? The lens is 24.99? Where are you buying your lens from?
I was looking at a ragecams used original lens:
Wide Original Lens Replacement for GoPro Hero HD 3 HD3 HERO3 Lens Black Edition | eBay

However you`re right, it`s not that expensive, found it for 36 brand new:
Original GoPro Hero 3 Black Optical Lens Fish Eye Repair Part Action Camera | eBay

If you have the link to where I can buy it at 24.99 I`ll give it a try, worst case I`ll learn how to replace a perfectly working lens :p
Thanks for all the help.

Nurburgring

Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the great link.
After further research it appears the image quality problem is related to image sensor alignment (the distance from the lens to the sensor is not level). Not easy to solve but I´ll disasemble and try to correct it.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
when you said sensor not leveldI said cross threaded, if thel ensand sensor housing not correct?