Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Using a Session underwater

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to take a Session underwater yet?
The reviews I've read only mention disappointment that it can only go to 10m, however, I was considering it as a small, mask mounted camera strictly for snorkeling so 10m wouldn't be a problem. I'd be really interested to hear any feedback about picture quality underwater.

Thanks

Tony

amandahuang

Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2015
www.hkneo.com
haven't using session camera underwater, only have my hero 4 silver one underwater. i think the session may be used underwater with a gopro camera waterproof housing.

dtbprc

Mar 5, 2014
used GoPro in Bahamas snorkel and waterslides- no issues- used the floaty grip- if you go lower then 4m than you will need filter

amandahuang

Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2015
www.hkneo.com
Thanks amandahuang, the session is able to be used under water (down to 10m) without any housing.
However I was hoping someone on these forums woukd have first hand experience.
hi, dragonunderwater, it is true that the session can directly underwater down to 10m without housing, with camera housing case it can go deeper. And for high quality image, you need a floaty grip for stable shooting and diving filters for correcting colors.

Hi amandahuang. I would assume that if GoPro were going to make an underwater housing then they would've released it with one, however divers aren't who this camera is aimed at. Without a housing then attaching filters will be difficult.
Regardless though that's not the question that I am asking, I have been taking videos underwater for some years using various cameras including GoPros so I'm not really asking for general underwater video tips I am asking if anyone has actual experience of using a Session underwater?
dtbprc: how did you find the quality from when you were snorkeling in the Bahamas. Do you have any other cameras that you can compare it to?

amandahuang

Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2015
www.hkneo.com
hi,dragonunderwater, just got a gopro 4 session this afternoon. the user manual shows the camea waterproof reaches 10m, seems not good at waterproof, i haven't tested yet. i use gopro hero 3 + for diving with neopine waterproof housing, and the image and video are clear and vivid. for the new received gopro 4 session camera, i still not rest assure to bring it for diving directly, i will still choose some waterproof housing fit it for diving.