Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Step 1 - Jumpy playback on brand new Macbook Pro

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Jeremy Reitman

Dec 24, 2015
Hi guys,

Was hoping somebody here could help me. I just purchased a brand new Macbook Pro 15" with 16gb ram and an Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB video card. This is the top of the line laptop and I purchased it for the sole reason of editing video and RAW format photos.

I installed GoPro Studio tonight and imported some footage of my Black which was shot at 720 120fps. For some reason, the playback in Step 1 is terrible. It seems to skip frames every second or so in exactly the same pattern. The file was imported on my hard drive just to make sure it wasn't lag coming from my external.

When I get to Step 2, the video playback is buttery smooth at hi-res.

Do you guys have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

X5rdman

Dec 31, 2012
In step in one, there is a setting that adjusts the playback quality. I don't have my laptop but to see where it is, but it is there. With a high end laptop you can adjust it to playback in full resolution with no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nmkawierider

Dec 9, 2012
NM, USA
In step-1, under advanced settings you can set what to convert to. This is what I meant. How does the computer play the raw files? I mean not with any editing program, just play them.

Here's where to look for the settings:

Last edited:

Jeremy Reitman

Dec 24, 2015
If I play the raw video file in any other player (i.e. Quicktime, iMovie, or iPhoto) it works perfectly fine!

I'm not sure why the conversion settings matter at this point as I've mentioned once the file is converted, it plays back fine. I'm converting it at the same frame rate and at the highest quality.

Any other ideas?

In step-1, under advanced settings you can set what to convert to. This is what I meant. How does the computer play the raw files? I mean not with any editing program, just play them.

Here's where to look for the settings:

Logiclo

Mar 14, 2016
Jumpy playback in the fist step

Hi Jeremy,

I was wondering if you managed to resolve your playback problem in the first step? I have exactly the same situation with my MacBook Pro from 2012. The playback jumps every second in the first step - very anoyoing. I have been using GoPro studio since last summer but never had this before and these files play fine in Quick Time and other playback apps.

I will be grateful for a response.

Best,
Jan

If I play the raw video file in any other player (i.e. Quicktime, iMovie, or iPhoto) it works perfectly fine!

I'm not sure why the conversion settings matter at this point as I've mentioned once the file is converted, it plays back fine. I'm converting it at the same frame rate and at the highest quality.

Any other ideas?