Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

SJ4000 any good?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

CLH

Jan 1, 2015
I have been thinking about picking up a third action camera (I have a Hero 3+ Silver and a Contour Roam now). I will use my GoPro for most shots, but I want to have another camera for secondary angles and the Contour is a bit outdated and grainy. Another GoPro is an option, but a fairly expensive option. I have seen a camera much like the GoPro (will use all the same mounts) made by SJCAM called the SJ4000. For the official one it will be ~$90 and a no-brand is $60. There seems to be quite a quality difference between them, so I will go with the official SJCAM one, if that is the route I decide to go. I have also looked at the Redleaf RD990 and decided that it is a lesser camera for more money. So, does anyone else have any other suggestions of cameras I should look into? I was hoping for under $125 but I could go to $150 it would really make a difference. Any advise/thoughts are appreciated.

CLH

andy-man

Oct 18, 2013
I now have 3 SJ4000 cams. Also a Hero1 / 2x hero2 and a hero3 and a hero4 silver. The SJ4000 is on par if not slightly better then hero3 and just as good as the hero4S

jbinx

Oct 24, 2016
I know this is a bit late for a reply but just in case there are others that are curious, yes, the SJCam SJ4000 is a good unit given it's price point. :)

4wd

Feb 13, 2016
I still have mine from a couple of years back, it seemed to struggle with white balance - usually too blue or too yellow - but now I have better editing software I can fix that easy enough.
Otherwise nice robust unit with almost cult following.