Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Shutter Problem after Water Damage Trying to Troubleshoot

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

dannyray

Jun 24, 2012
Got a small bit of water in the housing on a recent shoot. Used a hair dryer and within 6 hours the camera powered up. It will cycle through all of the pages including set up but the shutter button will not activate a shot. When I press it the camera blinks and beeps 3 times. That's it. I tried reinstalling the firmware but with the shutter button in it's current state there's no way to install it.

Any ideas or similar circumstances anyone

MLars

Jan 1, 2013
MA
When did you get water in it? Try to let it dry a bit more in a rice bag with the battery out. If that doesn't work try to take the camera apart and dry it out more. If none of that works then I'd look for a broken gopro for parts or even just a used one.

steve_t

Feb 9, 2013
My rule of thumb is that if any electronics get wet, never try to switch it on for 24 hours. Put it in a cup for raw rice in the hot water cupboard or somewhere really dry. If you try to turn it on too early, it can short out. If you let it dry thoroughly, it's often quite good for a long time... until corrosion causes issues.
As above, try to dry it out more and see if the remote or app is able to start/stop recording for you

Red-ManS4

Apr 12, 2016
Got a small bit of water in the housing on a recent shoot. Used a hair dryer and within 6 hours the camera powered up. It will cycle through all of the pages including set up but the shutter button will not activate a shot. When I press it the camera blinks and beeps 3 times. That's it. I tried reinstalling the firmware but with the shutter button in it's current state there's no way to install it.

Any ideas or similar circumstances anyone
My GoPro Hero 3 Black suffered water damage last year and I was able to bring it back and to this day it still works.
Firstly, was the water it was damaged from fresh water or salt water? If it was fresh water you should have let it dry for at least 24 hours if not longer. I personally always shoot for 48 in rice, in the sun.

Now if it was salt water you may be in a whole new world of hurt. Mine was salt water. The only reason mine is still working to this day is because I cleaned out as much salt as possible with fresh water. I know, that sounds crazy right? I pulled the battery as soon as I found out which unfortunately was about 3 hours after the water damage occurred. Once I got back to the hotel I took out the memory card and submerged the camera in fresh water and swished it around for a solid 10 minutes. Then I ran it under fresh luke warm water (barely warm, basically room temp) for about 10 more minutes. I used room temp water to allow the camera to slightly expand in case any salt couldn't make it out before hand. Once the camera was completely rinsed I shook it off as hard as possible, swinging my arm as fast as i could to get as much water out as possible. Finally, I out the camera in a quart sized bag of uncooked rice and put it in the window since it was sunny and warm out. I left it there for a day and a half before i finally had the guts to try it and what do you know, it worked. Scared that there might be a little moisture left in, i put it in some fresh rice and let it sit in the sun another 12 hours. 1 year later now and still works perfect.

My rule of thumb is that if any electronics get wet, never try to switch it on for 24 hours. Put it in a cup for raw rice in the hot water cupboard or somewhere really dry. If you try to turn it on too early, it can short out. If you let it dry thoroughly, it's often quite good for a long time... until corrosion causes issues.
As above, try to dry it out more and see if the remote or app is able to start/stop recording for you
This +1

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Fresh, brakish, salt water? do not be shamed to say?

like said I go that step further remove the front cover , it is not held on but a few clips and tape. you do not need to tear it apart but that would allow a faster dry with the rice