Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Watersports Scuba 1st timer in need of help

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Steven Paine

Feb 1, 2015
Hey,
I just bought a go pro 3+ silver edition and I was going to use it for scuba diving. I was wondering what is the best way to mount the camera; mask, chest, wrist, trey, floater pole? I am leaning towards mounting it on a mask so I can capture everything I look at. If I have the camera mounted to a scuba mask I am afraid most of my video would be of bubbles, is this true? What is the preferred/best way to use the camera while scuba diving and why? Thanks for you help.

mawg

Nov 6, 2014
Toronto, ON
Bubbles will be an issue if it is mounted on your mask for sure. Besides, to get a gopro on a mask you would need a mask with a gopro mount. You really should be getting a mask based upon fit and feel from a local dive shop and not based upon features like gopro mounts. Besides, the more things on your mask the more likely you are to break the seal due to collisions with coral, other divers ect.
It has been mentioned before that you should not use a camera diving unless you have dozens dives under your belt, however I get the desire to bring your camera with you in hopes of getting a few good shots. Peak Designs makes a good mount that would attach to any BCD. A wrist mount may also work. These mounts don't effect your mask, and allow you to focus on the dive, and your breathing rather than your camera.

Happy diving!!

Farron

Nov 11, 2014
If you're new to both diving AND the camera then it's not wise to try to learn both at the same time. I don't know how many times I've seen problems with divers when they're playing with their cameras and completely forget that they're diving. I've seen them get separated from their buddies, ascend or descend without knowing. So my advice if you're going to do it anyway is mount it, start recording, and avoid touching it again until after the dive. Yes you'll have really long videos, but you'll be safer. Don't use a mask mount. Bubbles will make at least half of the video unwatchable. I second using a wrist mount or something like a glove mount.

Steven Paine

Feb 1, 2015
O no it's not my first dive by any means but my first dive with a go pro. Ya I don't want to go with getting the bubbles, so no mask mount. I think I'll go with a wrist mount or bcd. I dont want to be holding the camera while in the water. I would rather turn it on, jump in and forget about it until I get out. Thanks for the help.

tamas970

Sep 27, 2014
Snorkeling is a different animal. Just to mention, usually u don't go down to 30m/100' :) (-> DESPERATE need for BIG LIGHTS) Another thing is while snorkeling, usually the interesting stuff is beneath you, while diving is often on your side (wall/reef).

I am also prepping for my first gopro dive soon, I'll hook it up on my photo gear (tray, 2 arms, the usual "giant crab" story:))).

Long story short I'd recommend a decent tray (+2 mobile Suns to light up the scene). If not, then a pole mount.

You can read my previous post here - http://www.goprofanatics.com/mounts-and-accessories/6810-best-mount-snookering.html?highlight=diverallen

The Chesty works great. Let me know if you have any questions.

Allen

Wheelman

Mar 1, 2014
I dont want to be holding the camera while in the water. I would rather turn it on, jump in and forget about it until I get out.
I went diving with my GoPro yesterday. I used the 3-Way and just held it in my hands, it wasn't as big a hassle as I thought it would be. I did have the chance to take pictures and videos from a lot of different angles though.

I would also suggest a dive filter. We dove in Maui & did not have a filter - pics were ok - but with the filter they would have been much better. Dive Filter Information
A filter is a must, it makes a world of difference.

johnny5

Jan 8, 2015
I purchased the flex clamp and love it. I can connect it to by BC hose and aim it in a general direction. The video is more stable and smooth. I can also clamp a video light on adding some color at depth. I found a large group of fish, clamped it down and let the video run. I left the camera to explore the area. The video captured the fish in a more natural interactive state.

Hi.
Head mounting will result in very shaky unstable footage full of bubbles. I'd also say that while the mounts I've seen that clip to your BCD straps look good while you're stood upright.... while you're diving you're horizontal meaning those mounts will result in footage of only what's directly below you.
Personally I'd recommend using a pole for diving with a GoPro, the footage you get will be far more stable than head or wrist mounted (I've tried both) and therefore far more watchable. It also gives the option of extending the pole out and therefore getting the camera closer to your subject without scaring them off.

Tony

Spfspark

Mar 8, 2015
Connecticut
www.facebook.com
I used the wrist mount last year when I dove in Bermuda. It worked out great, especially considering that an avid diver never really uses their hands/arms. One of these times I dive though I want to try a BCD or some type of chest mount. First time I did it I used the head strap....all I got was bubbles unless I was looking straight down. Which usually meant I wasn't where I wanted to be. LOL