Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Rainproof external power supply for my GoPro Hero3

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Sweety

Apr 4, 2013
I would love to power my GoPro externally, but can't figure an decent way.
The GoPro is mounted on my motorcycle and should record for extended periods.
Unfortunately the battery does not last long enough, even with a BacPac attached.

Is there any decent way to power my GoPro externally while keeping it waterproof?
By waterproof I mean rainproof. I'm not going to dive with my motorcycle :)
Drilling a hole and gluing the cable the only way to go?

I found cables on the internet to charge the GoPro1 and GoPro2 from the rear connector.
The BacPac case should provide enough space to connect this cable. Next I would drill an
hole in the BacPac door and mount a waterproof connector. Problem solved!
Unfortunately, I cannot find any cable to charge the GoPro3 from the rear...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
Drilling a hole and gluing the cable the only way to go?
That's about what I decided. I'm not mounting it on a motorcycle but for long duration weather time lapse shots. I bought another case and carefully drilled it. Then slowly enlarged the drilled hole until a mini usb cable barely fit. That's as far as I went. But I would probably use some RTV to seal the opening if I really need maximum weather resistance. It would be pliable enough to remove if necessary.

Bill

Bilbo De Decker

Apr 5, 2013
This is what i made for a long-term timelapse (16 months). I hope this will give you an idea!
It is made the skeleton door, a waterproof connector for the external battery, and stripped an usb cable for the neccesary parts.
I also removed some of the inner casing to fit the connector and made the usb connector a little shorter (dremel work :) ).

IMAG0890.jpg IMAG0891.jpg IMAG0892.jpg

Sweety

Apr 4, 2013

Hardened

Apr 7, 2013
You might take a look at this: http://www.portableuniversalpower.co...ot-product.htm

Continuous DC power for the Hero 3 Black from any 12 volt source... first of its kind.

We are also in the middle of our first production run of an external power supply that preserves the waterproof integrity of the GoPro case... the website will be updated in a day or two...

coolbikr4684

Dec 23, 2013
Parts

This is what i made for a long-term timelapse (16 months). I hope this will give you an idea!
It is made the skeleton door, a waterproof connector for the external battery, and stripped an usb cable for the neccesary parts.
I also removed some of the inner casing to fit the connector and made the usb connector a little shorter (dremel work :) ).

View attachment 995 View attachment 996 View attachment 997
Where did you get the cable and the connector mounted on the door?

BugMagnet

Feb 24, 2014
That's about what I decided. I'm not mounting it on a motorcycle but for long duration weather time lapse shots. I bought another case and carefully drilled it. Then slowly enlarged the drilled hole until a mini usb cable barely fit. That's as far as I went. But I would probably use some RTV to seal the opening if I really need maximum weather resistance. It would be pliable enough to remove if necessary.

Bill
I think this is the best approach for a Motorcycle. I just ordered an extra case (less than $20 on ebay with free shipping). This way you leave the waterproof back on it, and your not messing with the rubber seals on it either. Just drill a carefull hole over the USB port, and enlarge until the cord fits, then invent a way to secure it and waterproof it from outside.

Maybe make the hole big enough so the memory card can be removed as well, that way you never need to take the camera out of the case.

Rymarz1967

Feb 26, 2014
this is what i will be using on some epic motorcycle trips in the rockies this spring - GoPro Battery Eliminator I intend to hardwire a coax power connector to my Goldwing GL1800 and plug in to an always on power plug so that when i turn off the bike I can still take my time stopping the video and removing the camera to avoid theft. The power cable will run thru a DIY drilled hole in my GoPro case and plan on using some sory of flexible putty to water (rainproof) the hole... either plumbers putty or silly putty should work. i have taken an olf Samsung Infuse and set it up to wirelessly control the GoPro and will mount to my bike via Ram Mounts on my handlebar Power brake and clutch reservoirs. 64GB card should give me over 7 hours of record time. and with the battery eliminator i will have unlimited duration on the power. The one down side to any external powersource is that in the event of a crash, if the powersupply is detached, the Go Pro will power down less than gracefully and the video file may become unretrievable... any tips or ideas as welcome.

maggi

Jun 28, 2015
hello,
we are using Gopro as high angle shot camera in our studio. as Gorpo is installed in the location with 4 m height, after each time power on has to us elevator to press power on switch on camera.
so we are looking a way to skip pressing power on switch, once usb power cable is plugged to power ( 220 V)
camera turn on and video is available in the out put.
Maggi

bcharlow

Sep 26, 2014
I have to be missing so mething here, but why bother with the cable route, when there are a few waterproof lonnnnnng lasting batery packs (some with backs?) designed just for the Gopro? Check out reviews on Youtube. You'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9dZ2ZvLntc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsKe8tax7s

Should be good for 5 hours or more on a bike. Do you seriously film 5 hours continuously and then try to edit that?????

Last edited:

franktech

Aug 9, 2015
hello,
we are using Gopro as high angle shot camera in our studio. as Gorpo is installed in the location with 4 m height, after each time power on has to us elevator to press power on switch on camera.
so we are looking a way to skip pressing power on switch, once usb power cable is plugged to power ( 220 V)
camera turn on and video is available in the out put.
Maggi
Hi Maggi,
I had a similar issue in placing the GoPro Hero4 Black in trees for wildlife work. To enable an Auto PowerOn function requires fitting a custom controller in the GoPro, which unfortunately means you modify the camera. https://psctechserv.wordpress.com/

Cam-Do have wired remotes for the Hero 2 and Hero3 cameras which plug into the 30-pin connector. They also have one for the Hero 4 which requires a custom firmware update. GoPro Remote Controls
Frank