Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Powering from 12v

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

shift

Jun 25, 2013
Could you use a USB car adapter to run the gopro (or backpack) from USB power via a 12v battery

I guess the real question is .. Is there any issues powering the gopro for extended periods through USB power

Last edited:

Jerrybboy

Jul 16, 2012
no there is not, you can do this without a problem. ( it might get hot, and could stop working, but if the temp. is normal again, it will work fine.)

Tim

Dec 14, 2012
I have been using a H3B for a a time-lapse of a plant growing for several weeks now, powered by a series of 12V batteries. One pic every 60 seconds. No problems. So far, have many thousands of photos. Using both the internal and backpac batteries to maximize time if the 12V fails before I can replace it. Gonna be a cool video.

JackJackoo

Nov 21, 2012
I can power my GoPro Hero2 on my Motorcycle from a 12volt cig outlet with a USB adapter no problems at all

but the Hero3 Black will not play the game , one LED light comes on the back and the H3 with just freeze , I then have to remove the battery to get it to function again

Is there a external battery pack I can use that will do the job , I have seen some 10000mAh Portable Power supply / Charger on Ebay that have 2 USB outlets , would they work ok

Regards Jacko

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
For my off-road car I have 2 - GP2's with WiFi backpacks and both camera's are powered from the vehicle's battery source. Both camera's are permanently wired and 12V power is applied continously to the camera's. Being the backpacks derive their power from the camera - No need to power externally. This system has been in use for over a year with no issues. Both camera's are controlled by a single wireless remote that is powered by it's internal battery. I've not found the need to yet to remote power the remote.

On my GP3 -- I use an external battery pack and this works perfect. here is a link to what I'm using:

Linkie

I'm using their 12000mAh battery and for my time lapse video's using a tri-pod .. .. This battery not only powers the GP3 Black but also the remote. Works perfectly for this application.

Just some more insite .......

Tim

Dec 14, 2012
When I use external power, I need to make sure that the power is plugged in and hot before turning on the camera. Plugging and unplugging the external often causes the camera to freeze, and it does not seem to make any difference the nature of the external power source...car, battery, wall AC, whatever. I turn the camera off when plugging to prevent the freeze. Also, I have had good luck using the iPad app when externally powered.

shift

Jun 25, 2013
Those batterypacks look like a nice way to do the job. Do u power your camera or the battery backpack off it? (probally doesnt matter... backup would give you more buffer to swap the power source)

I just ordered this off the net
$(KGrHqRHJEUFGKed+f3wBRk)Yl8b(w~~60_3.JPG

I'm going use a small 12V ups battery to power the camera for time laps shots (once i get it back from rma!)

Tim

Dec 14, 2012
I plug the external source directly into the camera, not the backpac. I am using the "naked" housing and it has an access port for the power cord. I also enlarged the opening in the naked housing (dremel tool) so that it can remove the memory chip without taking the camera out of the housing. That way, the aim of the camera is not changed, providing a nice smooth time-lapse shot.

I access the camera from my iPad, turn off the time-lapse shooting, remove the card, replace it with another, erase all the former files, restart the time-lapse. It usually takes about a minute or so, and I do not miss any shots. It really would not make much difference if I missed a few, because I am compiling the shots into a video at 60 frames per second and then speeding it up from there 400% via Adobe Premier Elements, so a few missed shots is no big deal. Adobe also allows me to edit out the night-time when there is nothing to see. Right now, I have two weeks of shots that give about a 45 second video. You can actually see the plant grow. I will post the vid when done with the whole thing.

shift

Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like a cool project.. Defiantly post it when you are done!

Time lapses will be fun with this little guy.. its a good use for the camera inbetween adventures. :)

Tim

Dec 14, 2012
For us older guys, the time-lapse IS the adventure. :) I especially like severe weather and blizzards. Cool to compress the event into just a few seconds. Putting a full puzzle together in 10 seconds makes me look pretty smart.....mowing the lawn in 15 seconds is also pretty neat. You know, old people.

JKBryan

May 7, 2013
I plug the external source directly into the camera, not the backpac. I am using the "naked" housing and it has an access port for the power cord. I also enlarged the opening in the naked housing (dremel tool) so that it can remove the memory chip without taking the camera out of the housing. That way, the aim of the camera is not changed, providing a nice smooth time-lapse shot.

I access the camera from my iPad, turn off the time-lapse shooting, remove the card, replace it with another, erase all the former files, restart the time-lapse. It usually takes about a minute or so, and I do not miss any shots. It really would not make much difference if I missed a few, because I am compiling the shots into a video at 60 frames per second and then speeding it up from there 400% via Adobe Premier Elements, so a few missed shots is no big deal. Adobe also allows me to edit out the night-time when there is nothing to see. Right now, I have two weeks of shots that give about a 45 second video. You can actually see the plant grow. I will post the vid when done with the whole thing.
Very cool. Can't wait to see it!

JackJackoo

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks Guys , some good info there

Sparky are you saying you only need to remote power the H2 camera , not the WiFi BackPac , when I use my H2 in the 4x4 , I have to power both the Camera and WiFi BP , or the BP will run flat
I haven't had a problem with powering the Hero2 , WiFi or the remote from the 4x4 or motorbike , its just the H3 black that has the problems , doesn't seem to matter if I turn it on before or after connecting the external power .

I will look into the External Battery Packs , they look like a good thing , not just for the Gopro ,

Tim your time-lapse will be good to see , I haven't tried time-lapse yet , yours will probably inspire me to have a go

Thanks again Guys great info , regards Jacko

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Sparky are you saying you only need to remote power the H2 camera , not the WiFi BackPac , when I use my H2 in the 4x4 , I have to power both the Camera and WiFi BP , or the BP will run flat
I haven't had a problem with powering the Hero2 , WiFi or the remote from the 4x4 or motorbike , its just the H3 black that has the problems , doesn't seem to matter if I turn it on before or after connecting the external power .

Thats correct. Only the GP2 is vehicle powered. By design the WiFi backpack is internally powered and when it is depleted it draws power from the camera. For this reason I don't remote power the backpack. Also in looking at the backpack the battery status display always stays at 2 bars. I've been running it this way for over a year now and have now close to a thousand video's on the Tube running this way.

Same for my GP3 -- I remote power using a portable battery pack.

FUN Times .. :D

JackJackoo

Nov 21, 2012
Yep Ok , maybe I just haven't tried powering the camera only .

Yesterday I got hold of a Narva USB cigarette power adaptor and the H3 black works fine when powered from it ,
it is rated the same Output as the other two I have tried that the H3 black doesn't like

catch ya , Jacko

bigdrago

May 12, 2013
I have been doing a timelapse on my vacation (14 days, 130 european miles) with power from the 12v, working great! Using "the frame".

ApriliaRSV4F

Jan 4, 2014
Tim, just to make sure I read this correctly. Are you running 12 volts direct to your camera? I am wanting to run a hard wire from my bike battery to my GoPro.

gnielse

Feb 5, 2015
How is the adaptor working out? I really need something like this.

Those batterypacks look like a nice way to do the job. Do u power your camera or the battery backpack off it? (probally doesnt matter... backup would give you more buffer to swap the power source)

I just ordered this off the net
View attachment 1199

I'm going use a small 12V ups battery to power the camera for time laps shots (once i get it back from rma!)