Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Playback too fast

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

pkovo

Sep 4, 2015
My wife bought me this for my Birthday in march. Played with it a little in May, but everything I recorded looked like it wa splaying back a little too fast. Just doesn't look "right".

My recording is mostly on motorcycles and bicycles. I have used three different PC's about 4 or 5 different programs to play the vids back, used all the resolution settings on the cam, and it all looks a tad too fast. I essentially gave up and put the thing away until about 2 weeks ago when I contacted support. They are really slow, The first person I was working with apparently went on vacation....thus far no help. I sent them a short clip, and they said they see no issue and asked that I send another one.

If anyone has any insight before I toss this thing aside once more, perhaps permanently, I would greatly appreciate it. For example, what settings are the least likely to give me issues. Any resolution is fine with me as long as the playback is normal. I am not interested in fancy editing or anything, I just want to capture some vid footage of rides here and there

The SD Card is a Sandisk extreme plus 32gb micro SD HC1 bought new with the camera.

pkovo

Sep 4, 2015
Here's a short clip. not the best, but it's all I have uploaded to Youtube currently. It's like it is just a touch too fast. Not incredibly noticeable at first, but it's not right. In a few spots you can see me do something with my hands that makes it more noticeable.

https://youtu.be/4M5BIbBSlZU

DuskyBay

Nov 6, 2014
To be honest, pkovo, it looks fine to me, but I'm not a motorbike rider so I'm not that particularly sensitive to what it should be like. Additionally, because it has been uploaded to YouTube it would have been "mangled" in the YouTube conversion so unfortunately that video isn't all that useful in determining whether the playback speed is correct or not. VLC Media Player shows the playback frame rate as 29.970030.

For motorbike recording 720p 60fps should give you the best results as the video should be smoother at the higher frame rate. For bicycle recording I've used 1080p 30fps with excellent results.

Anyway, the best way to test the recording/playback speed is to video a clock that you have confidence in (it could be a computer clock), say over a 60s period. Then determine the time that it takes to playback that same time period as captured on the video (using the video player clock, computer clock, stop watch or mobile device timer etc). That will tell you precisely what the error is, if anything.

Eracles

Sep 4, 2015
Spain
vwscirocco.es
+1

The method explained by DuskyBay is correct. I did it myself to test the accuracy of the playback and in my Hero 3+ it is deadly accurate. I wanted to know because occasionally I use it to record car accelerations and then chrono in the vid to know the performance against others cars.

pkovo

Sep 4, 2015
So a big THANK YOU guys. I tried it. took a vid of the stop watch on my phone for 30 sec, and then played it back timing it....it's spot on. So I guess what I am seeing is the effect of the wide angle? Maybe I am really faster than I thought :)

So, armed with this info, I chest mounted it on my commute today (motorcycle) set to 720 60fps. I recorded several sections of 2-3 min. After recording about 5, I stopped and switched the resolution to 1080 30fps, however I didnt actually record at that resolution. I immediately changed my mind, and just set it back to 720 60fps. I recorded approximately another 5 clips throughout the ride.

After uploading and viewing, the first 5 clips looked pretty darn good actually. Not too fast, however here's where things get weird. The last 5 clips have a stutter, like every half second maybe. It's all the clips after I played with the camera resolution. Now remember, I recorded ALL clips in 720 60fps, but I just switched it to 1080 30fps for about 10 sec, then changed my mind and went immediately back to 720 60fps. It seems like doing that changed something to add the stutter? Any ideas on this oddity?

Anyway, I guess I feel better in the fact that if I start fresh at 720 60fps, and record, it looks good. But I'll have zero confidence should I want to switch up the camera settings on the go.

I uploaded them to a MacBook Air, which is at least a few years old, so it's not the most robust platform, but it's all I have at my disposal at the moment other than my work PC.

Thanks again guys. Here's a question, why in the world wouldnt go pro tech support have told me to record a stop watch. I feel dumb for not thinking of it, but surely they shoudl have given their job is to troubleshoot this stuff.

Eracles

Sep 4, 2015
Spain
vwscirocco.es
I think the stutter you mention is because of the playback hardware/software not being able to handle 1080 fast enough.

It happens to me also in my PC (5 years old), and not always the same. Depends on the CPU load, free memory, etc. For example, in my PC with Windows Media Player I always have stutter in 1080 with GoPro videos. With VLC Player, abourt 50% times, and strangely, with iTunes, only 10% of times get stutter. Seems the better player when the video demands high requirements.

Even playing from GoPro Studio I sometimes got stutter in 1080 (10%), but I know it is not in the video itself because:

1) Directly from the camera to TV via HDMI plays smooth even in 1080p 60 fps

2) Played the same video in more modern and capable PC or laptop of some friends, plays always smooth.

pkovo

Sep 4, 2015
I think the stutter you mention is because of the playback hardware/software not being able to handle 1080 fast enough.

It happens to me also in my PC (5 years old), and not always the same. Depends on the CPU load, free memory, etc. For example, in my PC with Windows Media Player I always have stutter in 1080 with GoPro videos. With VLC Player, abourt 50% times, and strangely, with iTunes, only 10% of times get stutter. Seems the better player when the video demands high requirements.

Even playing from GoPro Studio I sometimes got stutter in 1080 (10%), but I know it is not in the video itself because:

1) Directly from the camera to TV via HDMI plays smooth even in 1080p 60 fps

2) Played the same video in more modern and capable PC or laptop of some friends, plays always smooth.
But I didn't record anything in 1080. I changed the resolution on the canmera to that setting, but then changed it right back to 720. All recordings, including those with the stutter were at 720.

It's like just changing to that setting and changing back did something to the subsequent vids. I know that makes no sense, but seems to be what's happening.

For the time being, I'm just leaving the resolution at 720, and not touching a thing other than start and stop :)