Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Optimal GoPro settings for FCPX cinematic film?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

michachael

Jan 3, 2019
Hi all!

I will travel to a sunny, exotic island in a few weeks and I want to capture this beautiful place as good as possible. I have purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black, and will buy a MacBook Pro for editing footage of my GoPro and DJI drone shots.

Could you tell me what are the best settings I need to use, to make sure I ensure keeping the best quality for editing in FCPX? I am reading across sites that quite some people are struggling with choosing the right bitrate, the right codec, fps, having to post-edit and switch to 1020p for some reason, etc.. which is something I want to avoid and fix BEFORE shooting.

I searched the forum but couldn't find a clear answer.

Many Thanks for your help
Michael

Jatekman

Dec 21, 2017
Germany
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Best quality the GoPro can offer is 4K with Protune- I use low ISO, color flat and sharpness middle to have the best possibilities in the post.
If you plan slowmotions then you can use 60 Fps, if not maybe 24 would look more cinematic- I go most for 30 to have a little space for slowdown.
For really good shots I use a gimbal and the clips can be stabilized in post.

Ciao Rob

michachael

Jan 3, 2019
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Best quality the GoPro can offer is 4K with Protune- I use low ISO, color flat and sharpness middle to have the best possibilities in the post.
If you plan slowmotions then you can use 60 Fps, if not maybe 24 would look more cinematic- I go most for 30 to have a little space for slowdown.
For really good shots I use a gimbal and the clips can be stabilized in post.

Ciao Rob

Thank you Rob! Appreciate your input. Cheers