Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

New Firmware for Hero 3 Black, 03.02.37 (v02.37)

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

chrisofsweden

Feb 4, 2013
Not true. I routinely edit in Sony Vegas having had Protune OFF during capture. But I agree that Protune ON seems to be an issue after this latest firmware upgrade. Although it may be micro-SD card related.

Bill
jshaffer25 said:
You are correct. I rarely ever use Protune and I have used my GoPro for lots of videos I have put together. The image can still be adjusted just like any other clip in editing without PT.
You are both wrong. Sure it's POSSIBLE to edit non-protune video. And editing is fine. The clam is when you do your final render. If you want the FINAL render to look good then you NEED to use ProTune. Recording to lossy format (NON-protune) and the re-encoding final render in vegas it will only deteriorate even more. Better use ProTune and not loose picture information as much.

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
You are both wrong. Sure it's POSSIBLE to edit non-protune video. And editing is fine. The clam is when you do your final render. If you want the FINAL render to look good then you NEED to use ProTune. Recording to lossy format (NON-protune) and the re-encoding final render in vegas it will only deteriorate even more. Better use ProTune and not loose picture information as much.
I believe that unless you are making a GoPro remake of "Gone with the Wind" that the high bit rates, manual color temperatures, "Cam Raw" and other features of Protune are generally overkill for the non-professional. Final renders will look at least "good" but not the absolute best possible. Personal preference, of course.

Bill

chrisofsweden

Feb 4, 2013
I believe that unless you are making a GoPro remake of "Gone with the Wind" that the high bit rates, manual color temperatures, "Cam Raw" and other features of Protune are generally overkill for the non-professional. Final renders will look at least "good" but not the absolute best possible. Personal preference, of course.

Bill
Yeah, I suppose it's personal preference / attention to detail. Some won't even see the difference. Take my girlfriend for example, she says she can't see a difference between a bluray and a DVD movie...

But I'm just saying. Making Vegas reencode something thats already very compressed (non-protune) will have lost much more detail in the final output than reencoding a protune clip since the protune clip has much more picture detail in it for vegas to work with.

This also means you will get much more detail for a certain filesize.

Ex. 11Mbit (non-protune file) reencoded to 11Mbit will often look poor (imo) whilst
a ~40Mbit (protune file) reencoded to 11Mbit will look much better (Generally, given the same variables are used on both encodings).

Yrneh

Jan 7, 2013
Uploaded my H3B today ad went from no problems at all to .. . no problems at all!!!
Everything works, remote app, remote controll, protune on and off, so, now what?

Ces1um

Mar 22, 2013
Now what

Uploaded my H3B today ad went from no problems at all to .. . no problems at all!!!
Everything works, remote app, remote controll, protune on and off, so, now what?
Now what? Go out and play! :)

Munkiii

Jan 12, 2013
Been testing it tonight and found that Protune still causes some problems.

Sandisk Ultra Class 10 64GB

These are my results so far.

1440 48FPS Protune On
Recording 1 Stopped at 9 min 56 sec
Recording 2 Stopped at 9 min 44 sec
Recording 3 Stopped at 18 min 42 sec
Recording 4 Stopped at 5 min 50 sec
Recording 5 Stopped at 11 min 41 sec
Recording 6 Stopped at 1 min 12 sec
Recording 7 Stopped at 5 min 34 sec
Recording 8 Stopped at 4 min 06 sec
Recording 9 Stopped at 3 min 47 sec
Recording 10 Stopped at 4 min 44 sec
Recording 11 Stopped at 3 min 44 sec
Recording 12 Stopped at 8 min 56 sec

1080P 60FPS Protune On
Recording 1 Stopped at 4 min 55 sec
Recording 2 Stopped at 3 min 18 sec
Recording 3 Stopped at 1 min 57 sec
Recording 4 Stopped at 1 min 59 sec
Recording 5 Stopped at 1 min 36 sec
Recording 6 Stopped at 0 min 59 sec
Recording 7 Stopped at 1 min 33 sec

2.7k 30FPS Protune On
Recording 1 Stopped at 58 min 11 sec
Recording 2 Stopped at 46 min 37 sec

1080P 30FPS Protune On
Recording 1 Stopped at 2 hrs 36 min 30 sec (battery+bacpac died)

Samsung 16GB Class 10 MicroSDHC

1080P 60FPS Protune On

Filled the card, 45+ minutes, no problems.

Last edited:

BelDame

Jan 13, 2013
Do you need to format the MSD card before updating? Mine has 50GB of data on it that I'm trying to offload. If there's enough space for the firmware to be downloaded will that suffice or will it wipe my card? I haven't been game to try.

PeteDee

Mar 23, 2013
For updates there is no need to format the card, will not wipe your card unless there is some sort of catastrophic stuff up.

Pete

Ddamiang

Feb 14, 2013
I would recommend to format the card after firmware upgrade however.
It seems that new firmware formats cards in different way.
After firmware upgrade (from December version), remote control disconnections started to occur.
After formatting (by the camera !) everything reverted to normal operation.

steve_t

Feb 9, 2013
Been testing it tonight and found that Protune still causes some problems.

Sandisk Ultra Class 10 64GB
How do you conclude that Protune is causing the problem when there are KNOWN problems with Sandisk Ultra 32GB and 64GB MicroSD cards?

Munkiii

Jan 12, 2013
How do you conclude that Protune is causing the problem when there are KNOWN problems with Sandisk Ultra 32GB and 64GB MicroSD cards?
I didn't mean that it was Protune that was causing the problem as such, i just mean that there is a problem when using Sandisk 64GB Ultra Class 10 cards with Protune turned on.

I have tested "1080P 60FPS Protune On" (the one that has had the shortest single record time) using a Samsung 16GB card i have, and it filled the card (45+ minutes i think) in a single recording without any problems.

I don't really want to invest in another SD card, but it looks to be the only option.

Last edited:

Whig

Jan 12, 2013
Finland
How the heck is an RC Helicopter Hobby Forum admin going to 'guarantee' it will work? And what repercussions are there if it doesn't work?
Absolutely no idea... I tried to warn peoples on that forum not to get 64GB card because of so many problems and buy 2x 32GB instead but I was wrong... he "guarantee" that it will work :)

Whig

Jan 12, 2013
Finland
I have never done an update, I assume that all you need to do is download and instal is that right?
Just go to gopro website and there will be instructions how to do it.
GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera
It's pretty much is just downloading that update file on gp website then extracting and copying it to card and booting your camera.
Just remember to read and follow those instructions on gp website when doing it.

Hawseman

Apr 6, 2013
I don't have a lot of experience with previous firmware.....did have lockups in the first day prior to update to 02.37. None since update.

Here's an issue that "may" be specific to a problem in my camera: Samsung Pro 64GB card formats okay and looks to work fine in GP, but unrecognized in computers.....using different readers, PC's, through camera, any way you can think - tried all ways. Now if I format card in computer, it works like a champ in camera and I can read in all locations. Any similar experiences?

DeadMouse

Mar 28, 2013
Pacific Northwest
One improvement I've noticed with the latest firmware is that I no longer have battery drain when leaving the batteries in my GoPros. Before, I would have a fully charged battery, leave it unused in the GoPro and by the next day it would go from 3 bars down to 1 or be completely dead. This time I've put fully charged batteries in both of my GoPros and have left them there for 3 days and they still have 3 bars. :)

Ces1um

Mar 22, 2013
Battery drain

One improvement I've noticed with the latest firmware is that I no longer have battery drain when leaving the batteries in my GoPros. Before, I would have a fully charged battery, leave it unused in the GoPro and by the next day it would go from 3 bars down to 1 or be completely dead. This time I've put fully charged batteries in both of my GoPros and have left them there for 3 days and they still have 3 bars. :)
I've noticed the same thing! It doesn't drain out at all- I'm at a full week with full batteries. I can't say the same thing when the LCD screen is attached though. I lose a bar a day with it.

DeadMouse

Mar 28, 2013
Pacific Northwest
That is interesting, very interesting. I'll put the lcd on one of my mine and the battery bacpac on the other and see if this is a problem with the external connector or if it's just related to the lcd bacpac.

DeadMouse

Mar 28, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Well, some 20+ hours later and both my GoPros show full battery strength with both the LCD and Battery Bacpacs on. I'll go ahead and leave them on until tomorrow to see if that will have any effect or not, but so far so good from my end.