Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

My opinion on the real use of the Session

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Fid

Jun 18, 2015
I think this camera is just plain perfect for 360° video. GoPro recently acquired Kolor and the 6 camera mounts are awkward.
The cube is awesome for mounting 6 or more GoPros together and it'll be much, much easier and cheaper to make a mount, an "inner cube" if you will, that'll hold 6 together.
Due to the data size of 360° video, 1080p/60 is more than enough and live streams are not usually more than 720p due to data rate.
My guess is we'll see a mount by fall, the only downside being buying 6 Sessions is going to hurt the bank account, but awesome vides can be made.

Oh and 3D will be much easier too, basically just sticking two of them together.

Last edited:

hellhole

Feb 12, 2012
Buy 6 sessions vs buying 6 silver/black to cut down size. I dun buy it.

Sticking 2 silver/black together also the same.. I still dun buy it...

Ah well.. I am not the one making the millions..

AJ

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, the actual volume of the total unit holding 6 Sessions versus holding 6 regular-sized HERO4 cameras for example will be MUCH smaller. I agree on that. It would be at least half the size.

They could also maybe focus on using the Session with their new upcoming quadcopter: GoPro is releasing their own quadcopter. A lighter camera means they need less powerful motors, the flight time could be longer and this most likely means a less expensive quadcopter.

What do you think?

Fid

Jun 18, 2015
347-freedom360_2-300x300.jpg

GoPro-spherical-camera-mount.jpg

The excentric lens position makes it more complicated to stitch in software. Centered lenses would make a much better stich, possibly with a better end result.

A lighter camera means they need less powerful motors, the flight time could be longer and this most likely means a less expensive quadcopter.

What do you think?
Totally agree. Also on a quadcopter (I have a Phantom 2) it is much better to have the lens centered. Only problem is 1080p won't be competitive. But by this time next year (when the drone comes out) I bet they have a Session 4K/60fps.

What I wonder is if this is just testing the waters of a niche market or GoPro totally abandoning their classic camera shape. I guess sales will tell.

Last edited: