Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

I’m a traitor!

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Well... kinda.

On Sunday I received my Mavic Pro drone. While I had the option to get the Karma drone, the Mavic was definitely and without doubt my first and only choice.

Why? While lens distortion can be removed, not having to remove lens distortion is always a benefit video editors prefer. The incredible amount of features the Mavic offers over the Karma are priceless. Also, I would have to get a new GoPro camera since my Silver 3+ and Session 4 Kent shoot 4K. While there are other reasons, when it comes to price, Mavic wins by a large margin.

Another reason for my treason towards GoPro was the fact I got a Zhiyun gimbal stabilizer. Not only price was significantly cheaper but also it is compatible with both cell phones and GoPros (including GoPro Session). The one thing that bothers me a little is the size. I’ll be getting it in the mail on Saturday but based on the pictures it is huge, which I’m guessing that’s why it last 12 hours of use and it even can be used as a battery pack to charge cells (if I didn’t misread that part of the description).

Anyways, now I need to practice with the drone to create muscle memory when it comes to using the controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
congrat's maybe you should have held off till DJI got their 2nd gen out Lol. remember to fly Sun up 1 hour after and Sun down . the winds are at the calmest.

Also remember you can not see wind and each level of height offers wind. Also best advice visit Knowbeforeyoufly.org good luck have fun

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
[MENTION=2213]fishycomics[/MENTION] are there any rumors about the second generation? I figured there wasn’t going to be any since they got the Platinum edition out.

And yes, I’m gonna have to sacrifice myself and wake up early to get the best weather. I’ve been downloading all the apps and saving websites to favorite that provide all the good information about weather and flight zones. I’m also planning on getting my FAA part 107 certification for commercial use.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Right now I heard the FAA lost a case that opened the doors for flying, but that will be cemented again in concrete. worse yet Stone. Yes the best part is that FAA. 7 mi. straight line of any airport heli, waterplane.

enough said: I think that is right the last quad to be out. so maybe by Feb there be another improved one, heard nothing but just camera improvements nothing more

blmeanie

Feb 4, 2013
enjoy, a year ago I purchased a phantom 4, love it, use it primarily behind/above my boat while people are on a rope. Great fun to fly

p fandango

Jul 5, 2015
got quite a few people around here with Mavic's, & they are very impressive (especially if you splash out for the DJI goggles). I'm a GoPro man tho, i know its not as good but can still see it being a Karma when i come to replace the Phantom 2

TobyB

Jun 8, 2014
Arlington, WA
www.youtube.com
Congrats on the Mavic!

For a non Apple product guy, the DJI equipment is not as favorable as the GoPro since the Karma remote has a built in screen.Since getting the Karma few weeks a go, the one home I've filmed have been nothing short of amazing. Sadly, the weather has a changed here and isn't as conducive to flying.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
I been to the local hobby stores. and Horizon hobby is the popular over DJI. go figure that is what the store controls out there

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Thank you [MENTION=11223]TobyB[/MENTION]

Question, why do you relate Apple to DJI? Does android sucks when using it with DJI drones?

We’ve been having rain and wind all the freaking weekends, so it has been extremely difficult for me to fly my Mavic. As a consequence I still have trouble flying properly and using the controller intuitive instead of having to think and remember which button does what.