Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Hero7 Black - Smart Remote Won't Pair Anymore?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
I've been using my Smart Remote for the last couple days snowmobiling, it's been giving me some issues, now it won't pair up;
1) Normally, it takes about a 30 seconds to a minute for the WiFi to pair up to my Hero7 Black.
2) It froze up to the point I couldn't turn it off. Since there's no trouble shooting guide that came with the remote, I held down the On/Off button and Tool button together for several seconds in which it turned off. I turned it on and it worked periodically.
3) Now it won't connect at all. The remote keeps searching showing the WiFi connecting screen.
Yes, the GoPro is turned on and I have the WiFi On under connections in the GoPro menu. I also tried a re-pair the GoPro and remote which does't work as well. I'm at a total loss............

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
I had the EXACT issue. 7 day old GP7 and Smart Remote.

Went thru the setup of the camera via the IOS App on my IPAD Pro -- No issues. By the way -- via the App -- There is no start/stop button to control recording. Be nice if there were so one could at least go this route to remote trigger the camera -- But that's another story.

Tried to connect (Pair) the remote to the camera -- Failure. Over the past 7 days I could connect (Pair) only a handfull of times and that's with over 10 hours troubleshooting - And I even tried using one of my old 2 button GP remotes -- And that worked twice -- But with several issues.

In frustration -- Today I called GP's tech line and only waited a minute or so -- Good Job GoPro .. .. I was prepared for a L O N G wait !!

The tech LISTENED to me as I exactly detailed the issue and the steps I took to resolve - To no avail. After listening - He asked me to preform certain steps to which I replied -- The camera and remote are semi-permanently mounted in my Sand Car and on this call I didn't remove - Hoping he had a quick fix to which I could implement.

What the tech did offer though was to send me via e-mail a set of instructions to follow and if any issues after - To give a call back for further review.

Note -- I downloaded the camera manual and in the instructions on pairing -- It stated it may take up to a minute or more. So -- Based on this time frame I tried over and over again waiting for a full 5 minutes for the pairing process to complete -- With complete failure. At certain times when I turned off the remote it would turn off the camera -- With a failed pairing. There were also other strange issues.

Now -- With the troubleshooting notes I received -- I followed to a "T" -- And have SUCCESS.

When pairing for the 1st time after RE-SETTING the camera to factory default -- The time to pair is only 2 seconds. This is the way it should be - And one would think with a new camera it would not have to be reset back to factory settings - As it came that way to begin with.

Also - Now when I turn on the remote -- It connects to the camera in less than 5 seconds and turn's it on displaying on the remote's screen what's on the camera's display. The remote is now fully functional and no weird issues that I was having.

Here is the troubleshooting instructions the GP tech sent me -- If this is inappropriate then remove.

First, we will reset the Smart Remote. You will need to press and hold the Power/Mode button on the remote for about 8 to 10 seconds. The remote will power off and can then be powered back on if that's what you want to do.

Then, we will reset the HERO7 Black's Wi-Fi connection.
From the main screen, swipe down.
Tap Preferences > Connections, and then tap Reset Connections.
You will now have a new name and password that is created by the camera.
NOTE: You have an option to change the camera name when pairing to the GoPro app after reseting the connections

Next, make sure your camera and remote have a full charge and are powered OFF.

Part 1 - Get your HERO7 Black camera ready for pairing mode
Power off your remote.
Power ON the HERO7 Black camera.
On the back of LCD screen, swipe down from the top of screen and tap Preferences.
Tap Connections
This part was missing from these instructions -- Set Wireless Connections to "On".
Tap Connect Device and scroll down to Smart Remote
Tap Smart Remote to enable pairing mode.
Now set your camera aside and pick up the remote.
Part 2 - Get your Smart Remote ready for pairing
With the remote powered OFF, press and hold the red Shutter button on the remote.
While continuing to hold the red button, press the white Power button once briefly. The remote will power on and show two arrows moving towards each other. You can let go of the red button at this time. Now the remote is in pairing mode.
Part 3 - Finish pairing the Remote and HERO7 Black camera
At this point, the camera and remote should both show arrows moving towards each other. After one minute or less, the camera and remote should pair.
The remote may ask you to pair another, press the Mode button to highlight "No", then press the red button to select it. Alternatively, you may see the pairing screen (arrows) and the number of connected cameras appear (typically "1"). Press the red shutter button on the Remote to complete the paring process.
The remote should now mirror the camera's front LCD screen, indicating that pairing was successful.
On connecting the camera to your mobile device, follow the steps below:
Pick up your camera:
Power on your camera.
Open the utility drawer by swiping from the top to the bottom of the touch display, then select "Preferences."
Select "Connections" and then tap on "Connect Device."
Tap on "GoPro App" to put your camera in pairing mode.
At this point, you can tap on the "i" icon in the top right corner to see your WiFi name and password.
Open the GoPro App:
Select the Camera logo at the bottom left corner of the app and it will automatically begin scanning for your camera
You should see "We Found Your GoPro" and a blue "Connect" button. Tap on connect.
You will see a section to change your camera's name, or you can tap on the bottom button to leave the name as it is.
Once a name is set your GoPro App will show a live preview of your camera. You're all set!

Based on what I've just went thru -- I strongly recommend upon receipt of the camera and if one is going to use GP's remote -- To initially re-set the camera to factory settings/default -- It doesn't make sense as it being new -- But this solved the issue I had with mine.

That's my story -- Just hope I have no further issues when I go to use next time .. .. Good Luck !!

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Wow Sparky!! Thank you sooo much! I don't have my Hero 7 on hand, but will next week due to it being at my cabin. I copied and saved your fix for safe keeping. I certainly hope this will do the trick for me as well. I mounted the Smart Remote on my handlebars with RAM mounts....... awesome setup. I plan on doing the same on my Honda Goldwing. When the remote works, it's an awesome tool. I was to the point of trying another aftermarket remote due to all the issues I've had. It totally took the enjoyment out of using the GoPro while riding. Having to remove my glove and reaching up on top of my helmet to turn it on/off while riding was quite a hassle. I sincerely appreciate you getting back with me along with the time you put into doing so. I'll report back in about a week to let you know how it all works out. Thank you buddy........ Ray :)

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Well -- Well .. .. A new day -- And the saga continues ...........

Having found a way to pair the remote to the camera and cycling the camera on/off several times in a row -- I thought .. .. Lets say -- I hoped I would have no further issues .. .. Sadly this is not the case.

Went to the shop this morning to get the sand car -- Thought I'd test the remote/camera just to be safe. Pushed the button on the remote and it tried to connect to the camera -- To no avail after 5 minutes. Turned it off -- Turned on the camera and again turned on the remote .. It's trying to connect to the camera as the 3 crescents are cycling but after 5 minutes I shut both off.

Next -- I decided to do a hard re-set of the camera. This erases all programming/time-date and all user settings along with re-naming the camera and assigning a new password. Then put the camera into paring mode along with the remote. Bingo -- The camera says it was successful and I had a 1 displayed on the remote. Turned both off and hit the remote -- Bingo .. It turned on the camera and connected displaying the camera info on the remote's screen. I cycled the camera on/off 3 times with the remote -- No issues. Grabbed my Ipad and connected to the camera and re-set all the parameters for video along with re-setting the time and date and disconnected -- Hitched up to the sand car and headed out.

A few minutes later I'm unloading the sand car and went to hit the remote to turn on the camera -- And all I that happens is the remote is trying to connect. After 5 minutes I shut it off and turn on the camera then hit the remote. Same result -- Dammit !!

Take the camera out of the mount and do a soft reset. This only changes the camera name and password leaving my settings intact. Then go thru pairing again with success and then connect the remote to the camera -- Everything looks good so I get in the sand car - Harness up and head out.

Trigger the record button on the remote and the camera is recording - After 4 minutes I trigger to stop recording and the camera stops. I now have one video displayed on the remote -- GREAT !! .. .. Now it's all downhill from this point.

I trigger the remote to start camera recording -- It does but a few seconds later the remote looses camera connection as it is displaying the 3 crescents and does not establish a connection. I stop -- Unharness and look at the camera up front. It's on but not recording. I shut the camera off and hit the remote -- It will not connect. I go thru the whole process again with re-setting the camera and then pairing works along with connecting both. Get back into the sand car - Harness up and take off - Then hit record on the remote. The camera starts recording then disconnects from the remote. I go thru this whole routine a half dozen times and have come to the conclusion that the WiFi radio in the camera -- Really the WiFi chip while perhaps not defective -- It's signal is extremely weak. By the way -- The remote is only 4' from the camera. So -Separation clearly isn't an issue.

Also -- When the camera disconnects from the remote -- It stops recording but doesn't close the video file correctly. The video file on the card is correctly named by the camera and half of the files have a picture thumbnail but won't play. The other corrupt files are grayed out and the play button in the upper right corner has a line drawn thru it - Obviously it doesn't play either. The only video files that play are 4 that I was able to trigger the camera to record and stop.

I'll call GP later this afternoon and go over this with their tech and request an RMA and return the camera for another one -- If this is an issue I'll request a refund. I would hate not having the camera though as I got the GP7 on their trade-in offering .. .. Sending in my older GP2 with WiFi backpack that worked flawlessly -- Just a pain as the battery life was short in all the components.

That's my story -- Hope you have a better go with yours Ray -- Good Luck !!

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
What a P.I.A.......... Your description is the same that I went through while snowmobiling. I've tried different scenarios as well with no luck. I wish i had it with me, I would go through everything as you did. I will definitely get into it next week. Please let me know what GoPro has to say. Thanks again for all the feedback and Good Luck to you as well. Ray

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Placed a call to Gp this afternoon -- Again .. Call immediately answered. The receptionist immediately transferred me to tech support where again another employee quietly listened to my story and asked the right questions. He also conferred with someone else in the background for guidance.

While I asked to send in the camera for replacement -- In the end they wanted to start with replacing the Smart Remote. Reason was -- I was asked if I could successfully log-on to the camera via the IOS App and I said I had no issue doing this but I was only 1 foot away at the time. I also mentioned again the corrupt files on the card which is the camera's fault but they wanted to start with the remote.

The fellow sent me several e-mails -- One with a UPS return label that I affixed to a box and took into town to our package store for shipment.

I did ask the question -- If the problem still persisted with the new remote then I would call back and ask for a camera replacement .. .. The fellow agreed this would be the course of action. He also verified with me the purchase date of both products. The camera has a 30 day money back guarantee and it also has a 1 year guarantee.

Now for the wait -- Maybe up to 10 days .. ..

To be continued .. ..

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Received a replacement Smart Remote from GP today. 1st step -- To pair. No joy !! Tried 3 times for 3 minutes each -- Nothing happened. I've been down this road before -- Next option .. Bring up the GP App on my Ipad and initiate pairing of a new remote -- Immediate red failure icon displayed in the App. Next course of action -- I do a soft camera reset and try again to pair -- Same results .. Last option -- Do a factory hard reset .. This wipes the camera clean starting over as if it were new.

Once the camera re-started .. I skipped the GP startup screens and went straight to pair a new device. Now - I get a screen that asks if I want to pair a new device and I put the remote into pairing mode. Success as they both recognize each other and pair. From this point I bring up the GP App and go thru re-connecting and then set time/date and set all the options I want.

I take the camera and remote outside and do a range test. In free air I get 65 yards separation before disconnecting. Upon disconnecting I take a step closer and the remote automatically re-connects. Great -- Performs as advertised.

At this point -- I've proven there are issues with the current software build of the camera. There's also one issue with the GP App when using 3rd party Ios camera control Apps. But I won't get into that here -- The workaround is quite simple.

One point I made on a previous post that I'd like to correct -- One can trigger the camera to record/stop via the Ios GP App. The control isn't intuitive/labeled. I found out this feature quite by accident.

Also there are other 3rd party camera control options available using an Ios App product. 2 that I've found useful -- Easy Black 7 and Myk. The latter I really like as it offers some interesting options. The audio -- Instead of using the camera mic .. One select to use the Ios device audio. For me -- This would cut down on wind noise. Also an interesting data overlay. And to address this issue -- GPS.

I use a WiFi Ipad PRO -- Even though it cost a Grand it doesn't have a GPS chip in it. I use an external device -- A Bad Elf PRO + linked via Bluetooth .. And this device is rock solid -- Never an issue. Using the Myk App -- GPS is not supplied by the GP7 but the Ios device and in my case I have to use a tethered external device -- But it all works perfectly.

Last point -- I have the GP 7 mounted in a ReFuel mount. I never have to worry about the camera battery.

I've re-mounted everything back into my Sand Car -- Tested and all performs fine. Won't be able to field test until the rains stop here in the PNW.

That's my story -- Just hope the system performs once back on the Sand -- But I now have several options for camera control.

Good Luck .. ..

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Hi Sparky,
I have tried to resetting my Smart remote a couple times going through your process from post 2 since I got back home this past week. I'm still having connecting issues. I haven't went through the process you just posted yet, but will. I purchased my remote online from B&H video back on December 9, 2018. I haven't looked into a replacement yet, I'm sure I would have to go through GoPro to do so. I definitely agree with you about the cameras software and there are quite a few people complaining about constant freezing issues. I've had that happen to me a few times myself. It's truly a shame to spend this kind of money that produces more issues than it's worth. GoPro truly needs to address their software problems. Please keep me informed. Have you had a chance to use it much since you reset it? Also at this point, do you feel that your original remote may have been the problem? Thank you for all your help, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray :)

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Hey Ray .. ..

Mine has froze maybe close to half a dozen times in less than the month that I've had it. This is also a common issue with previous versions just not as frequent.

I'd suggest when yours looses connectivity -- If it won't re-connect automatically and you start the process to connect and it won't .. .. .. Then skip to the last step and do a factory re-set and then connect. Once connected -- Before doing anything else .. Do a range test. If you get roughly the distance I get -- Then there's nothing wrong with the remote or camera .. .. There's an issue with the camera's current software.

I feel that I had no issue with the original 3 button Smart Remote -- Although I didn't do an initial range test. Here's really the bottom line for the reason I say It's not hardware related. When I sent back the new smart remote -- I dug out one of my old 2 button remotes and charged it up. Then paired it to the camera and did a range test -- All good. I did several test video's in my shop with this setup and it worked installed in my Sand Car. Then the next day I took it out and without touching anything turned on the remote and it would not connect to the camera. After doing a camera re-set then I could connect -- Mounted back on the car and went for a run. Complete failure. Trigger the remote to start camera recording and once the camera started to record -- Immediate disconnect with no auto re-connect. I spent more time that day trying to make work than running the car.

I've not gone back out now with the replaced remote. Although it's mounted in the car I'm going to trigger camera record from a 3rd party Ios app on my Ipad. I get a much bigger display and I can see the time counter much easier so I can time/limit my video's. Also I'm not using the camera's audio but have selected audio from the Ipad.

We've got rain slated for the foreseeable future here in the PNW -- Might be a couple of weeks before I can get back out.

I sincerely hope you have a better experience than I've had -- Again .. Good Luck !!

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Hey Ray .. ..

Mine has froze maybe close to half a dozen times in less than the month that I've had it. This is also a common issue with previous versions just not as frequent.

I'd suggest when yours looses connectivity -- If it won't re-connect automatically and you start the process to connect and it won't .. .. .. Then skip to the last step and do a factory re-set and then connect. Once connected -- Before doing anything else .. Do a range test. If you get roughly the distance I get -- Then there's nothing wrong with the remote or camera .. .. There's an issue with the camera's current software.

I feel that I had no issue with the original 3 button Smart Remote -- Although I didn't do an initial range test. Here's really the bottom line for the reason I say It's not hardware related. When I sent back the new smart remote -- I dug out one of my old 2 button remotes and charged it up. Then paired it to the camera and did a range test -- All good. I did several test video's in my shop with this setup and it worked installed in my Sand Car. Then the next day I took it out and without touching anything turned on the remote and it would not connect to the camera. After doing a camera re-set then I could connect -- Mounted back on the car and went for a run. Complete failure. Trigger the remote to start camera recording and once the camera started to record -- Immediate disconnect with no auto re-connect. I spent more time that day trying to make work than running the car.

I've not gone back out now with the replaced remote. Although it's mounted in the car I'm going to trigger camera record from a 3rd party Ios app on my Ipad. I get a much bigger display and I can see the time counter much easier so I can time/limit my video's. Also I'm not using the camera's audio but have selected audio from the Ipad.

We've got rain slated for the foreseeable future here in the PNW -- Might be a couple of weeks before I can get back out.

I sincerely hope you have a better experience than I've had -- Again .. Good Luck !!
Hi Sparky...... sad to say, I'm still having the same issues as you are. I.M.O. as well as many, many other GoPro owners are really getting fed up with this company. These remotes along with other (so called) compatible remotes simply aren't discussed therefore, I'm about to give up on the use of one. I totally agree that it's all about software as you stated....... GoPro needs to get up off their a.. and get this and other major issues taken care of. Thanks for all your help and Please let me know if you find or hear of a resolution. I will do the same......... Thanks buddy. Ray

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Hey Ray --

Here's my update now as the weather has cleared .........

In a nutshell -- 100% clear failure. The issue is in the camera's firmware. My remote is 44" from the camera and when connected and push the record button -- Almost instant failure and most times causes the camera to freeze requiring the removal of the battery to restore.

I also shut off the remote and tried using the GP App as one can trigger record -- Same issue but one gets this -- The preview screen goes blank (Black) and the timer counter continues to count. Hit stop record and a display pops up saying the camera is busy and can't perform this action. I can hit record again and no preview screen but the counter is counting -- I thought .. Well -- Maybe I could use it this way. No Go -- When I looked at the camera it showed no video saved but on the memory card I have many video's all with 0 minutes recorded.

I then tried a 3rd party App as I really like what it brings to the table -- Essentially the same results as the GP app produced.

The only way I can use the camera is to hit the record button on the camera and just let it record and in post pull out what I want. If I had the use of a remote I wouldn't have to do any editing as I would only record Just the moment I wanted.

I really like the video from the GP7 -- But I will go back to my VIRB 30 with it's wireless remote as I've never had one issue with it -- It's just the video's aren't quite as good.

Well -- That's my story Ray .. .. Wish I had better news for ya . . . . Good Luck !!

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks Sparky for all your input and help in trying to get this huge issue resolved. I tried and tried without success following the steps you took. Theres no rhyme or reason to any of this. No matter what steps you take, it can't be pinpointed. It's got to be software and Gopro simply doesn't care to update their firmware. This along many other problems such as freezing issues have been simply ignored for well several months. What a shame.......... I'm getting ready to hit the road throughout VA, WV, NC & TN on my Honda Goldwing. Having a usable remote would have made the trip for video. Thanks again buddy..... Ray

Last edited:

Sparky

Sep 29, 2012
Hey Ray ..

Same boat -- Never got mine to work either .. .. Nor the App to stay connected. Something's sure is goofey !!

Couple of thoughts if you do decide to use the camera for your upcoming trip -- I use a Re-Fuel mount for mine. It has an internal battery and that combined with the camera battery gives one several hours of use. Takes the short camera battery life issue out of the picture.

Also -- I tried the camera's voice command feature. It actually works quite well. Turn the camera on/off by voice as well as to start/stop a video. Just a thought for ya .. ..

Enjoy your trip -- You've got to have a good working camera of some sort to document your adventure!! !!

Good Luck ..

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks Sparky..... I'm definitely going to use the GP7. I do have the Anker PowerCore+10050 which I used this past snowmobile season. This power bank worked flawlessly, the power lasted for a couple full days and I still had some juice left. It can be used with or without the GP battery in the GP. If left in, it keeps it fully charged. I also have a cord and attachment kit X-PWR-H5 found on the page in the link below. I got the 66" cord that work perfectly for placing the bank in your pocket, etc. I can't say enough about both this power bank and cord kit. In a couple words, totally awesome and worth every penny!
I haven't tried the voice command with my helmet yet but, I definitely will give it a go. I wear a 3/4 helmet on the bike therefore, it should work well. Hopefully GoPro will wake up and take care of our needs but, I won't hold my breath. Worse case scenario is I'll have to physically hit the button on the GP each time I want to record. Either way, I'll enjoy the trip and get some video. Thanks again bud....... Ray :)

Anker Power Bank:
https://www.anker.com/products/A1311011

X-PWR-H5 (Scroll down on the page)
https://www.3brpowersports.com/xpwr.php

Last edited:

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Very nice........ thanks for the link. The Re-Fuel has a few great advantages, not being tethered and six hours continuous battery life for 4K 60fps. I shoot solely in 4k 60fps and six hours would be plenty for a couple days without recharging for me. 0 degree temps would be the only drawback for me for snowmobiling but, I do a lot of motorcycle riding throughout the summer. Overall, this is a great alternative for only $60.00. It appears that owners are very happy with it. Here's a thought..... It would be nice if Digipower came up with a remote for us. Thanks again for showing me this, I may go for it in the near future! Ray :cool:

CrazyRay

Dec 3, 2018
Talked to GoPro through Chat yesterday for about an hour. They're going to send me new one....... Hopefully, the new one will be a great experience. :)