Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Hero 10 - One Hit and One Miss - Water Shedding Lens and Reduced Recording Time

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
The new GoPro Hero 10 boasts a lens coating that helps to shed water droplets. As someone who often shoots in the rain, I appreciated this improvement. Recently, to try it out, I noticed on radar that a few showers were approaching. I set up the H10 in a time-lapse video mode. I then let the camera run until the battery was depleted and it shut off. I then checked the resulting video.

The was indeed a marked improvement in reducing droplets on the lens. You can see the result for yourself near the end of this video. Hero 10 cloud and rain time-lapse

What I was not prepared for however, was the reduction in run time. In the past, my Hero 9 ran for about three hours with the same settings. Not the under two hours in this video with the Hero 10.

So as an unscientific test, I charged both my H9 and H10 to 100 percent battery. Set both to the same time-lapse video settings as the above video. Then aimed them at a blank wall and started recording. The Hero 9 shut off at 3 hours and 38 minutes. While the Hero 10 only managed 2 hours and 3 minutes. A considerable difference! Perhaps the new processor in the H10 is a battery hog.

With many of my time-lapse videos with the GoPro I use an external battery. So this not a big deal to me. But I think it is something to be aware of. Perhaps I'll retro-fit the H9 with an H10 lens and have the the best of both.

Last edited:

blmeanie

Feb 4, 2013
i have neither of those cameras you tested but have seen somewhere that you can set the front/rear screens off somehow to save battery time? Does the improvements in screens I've seen shown in a review or two have impact on battery length?

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
i have neither of those cameras you tested but have seen somewhere that you can set the front/rear screens off somehow to save battery time? Does the improvements in screens I've seen shown in a review or two have impact on battery length?
I've not tested that but I'm sure it makes a bit of a difference. Mine were set to go dark after five minutes. I did test GPS on versus off on the 10 and there was about a 6 minute difference.

Bill

Last edited: