Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Hawkeye Firefly 6S 4K Thoughts

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

biff.org

Dec 15, 2014
Dilworth, MN
So who has purchased one of these animals and what are your thoughts.

Other than the fact that it cannot do true 4K, in my mind it sounds like a great replacement for my Hero 3+ Black that just took a crap. I can't even send mine off for repair for what they sell this camera for.

I have seen them listed on Amazon and Ebay between $120 and $150. But Gearbest and others have been dropping in price like overnight. But I would have to wait a bit longer for shipment.

Yesterday, it was $89 and dropped to $85 mid day. It now lists for $78.99 shipped!

My goal was to purchase another Hero 3+ Black as I use it in my Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal. I have read it should work just fine with no changes as I use the USB connector with my FPV system. Honestly, its such a low price, it's very hard to justify fixing mine.

The Hero 4 Black was on my radar but not for 4K, but for 1080 120fps. I wish this Firefly would do that and it would be a no-brainer.

So for anyone that has tried this cam out, let me know your thoughts. If not, I may have to report back as this may just have to happen.

Thanks everyone!

biff.org

Dec 15, 2014
Dilworth, MN
Just got my Firefly 6s in the mail yesterday! First impression is really good. I shot a box opening video that I hope to share tonight.

The box has been improved with more info on it, but that's retail crap that means nothing, what is in the box is what is cool.

The camera itself and waterproof case seems to be an near exact dimension with the GoPro's as advertised. It's a solid little unit with easy to use buttons and menus. I am disappointed with the lack of visual or audio notification that it is recording or on, other than the ring around the buttons and the LCD on the front. I liked the beep when using it on a helmet.

Along with a collection of mounts, lens cover, etc, there was actually a FPV cable included! That was a big question for many. There is also a setting for record as soon as it gets USB power! In other words, fire up your drone and it starts to record. Pretty cool that you don't have to grab your live gimbal to not only turn the cam on, but hit the shutter button.

The cam came with current firmware 2.6 (newer than you can download) and the iphone app was an easy download from the QR code in the manual. The app has many of the camera settings and remote control of the cam. And even better than the GoPro app, it runs in portrait and landscape mode. Delay is apparent, but not horrible. Connecting to WiFi was easy.

More to come as I get the video edited down. PS: I shot it with my freshly revived GoPro Hero 3+ Black after it's time in the freezer.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
great job. As long as you get film/video you will be very happy indeed. Looks like a great buy we all here are looking forward to seeing some footage

Fish

biff.org

Dec 15, 2014
Dilworth, MN
The footage shot from my phantom at the end of the clip is with the Firefly.

I flew it again last night and was playing with the gyro stabilization. I think It made the quality worse. So I may have to go back to default and start over. Overall, it's good video, but I don't think it's up to the quality of my GoPro. There are enough settings for me to have screwed them up, but I will just have to play with it again starting from default.

Default settings are 1080p/60fps, medium data rate and medium sharpness. My guess is the recordings I do from any powersports may be just fine, but the quality of the shots I was getting from the phantom may show off the differences a bit more.

We will see as I post more vids.

biff.org

Dec 15, 2014
Dilworth, MN
Ok, After the first weekend of playing with this thing, I have some experience to share.

Good point, lots of settings. And the defaults seem to work best. But when I started messing with them, the picture got bad quick. Grainy or way too sharp. Once set back to default, it was good again.

It's a warm one, and loading it in it's case while in an air conditioned office, will guarantee it will fog inside the case during the ride home. That was an issue.

There are very few indications that this thing is on or recording. No audible beeps and the record lights are dim around the shutter button and power button. I am not going to like the lack of audible beeps when using on my helmet. The LCD is near impossible to see in bright sun. So looking at it to see if the counter is counting is difficult.

That being said, the ability to have it power on and start recording when USB power is applied is cool for the drone users. As soon as you fire up your phantom, the cam comes on and starts recording. That is a nice feature that keeps you from having to grab your cam on a live gimbal.

I am going to edit down some quick clips from the phantom and wakeboarding this weekend. You should be able to see the difference in the settings.

One setting that confused me, and may not be described in the manual very well is the ability to change the hz from 60-50hz. I tried that in both settings and 60hz was the way to go. Not sure what that was all about. Knowing that many LCD's run at 60hz frequencies or multiples of 60, it seemed to make sense. But I didn't understand why that setting existed.

More to come.