Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

GoPro Metal Backplate/EndCap

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Belshaddon

Jun 18, 2016
I have recently bought the session and was quite happy with the camera until recently noticing the following:

By Pressing the camera's metal backplate/endcap with 1 finger (side where select button is located) around edges or corners - notably 1 in particular at first , I noticed small movement of this plate...I subsequently realised that I could easily slip my fingernail under the edge of this plate and lift it slightly, a particular corner seemingly more than others.

I have not managed to remove the backplate as it seems to be stuck in place through it's middle plate but I have not tried forcing it also being afraid that i might warp the look or appearance of the backplate due to bending the edges etc. and it does not seem replaceable in any way.

Is this normal for session cameras or am i looking at a defective model, or result of a drop on the floor/impact on backplate?

I have dropped this camera while not in one of it's frames exactly once, from a sink to the floor while rinsing it which caused a slight scratch on this backplate. Otherwise it has always been used in frames, mostly underwater or for non taxing activities like home recording etc.

I have had the camera for less than two months at this point and expected a more rugged experience rather than what seems to be a slightly wonky backplate, does this effect performance or waterproofing?

Sorry for the lengthy post, tried to explain most aspects best i could, I have also tried googling but found no posts at all with someone commenting about this.

Thanks.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
can not get my fingernail under at all and my cam one of the first, so I hope that helps answer your question wit the photo?

If I were to pry it then I be in trouble so I let lying dogs lay

Belshaddon

Jun 18, 2016
can not get my fingernail under at all and my cam one of the first, so I hope that helps answer your question wit the photo?

If I were to pry it then I be in trouble so I let lying dogs lay
Thanks Fishy,

Some pics of very relaxed prying (can lift it further than this and along all edges) with nail and how it looks before i play around

i also saw some session teardown pics here

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+Hero4+Session+Teardown/44307

where they pull off the metal plate, also assuming they bend it in the process, camera still looks sealed beneath, but still would not have expected this...

Belshaddon

Jun 18, 2016
I hear ya, looks alright to me. the select is so small, not much to bend.
Its not the select button i am pushing up but the metal backside itself. Note the red led light plastic in corner is recessed in other pics as im pushing frame up.

Thx for the replies so far

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
the back plate of the camera. Then I contact gopro and get a new one. some how they must not have used glue all around?

Belshaddon

Jun 18, 2016
Contacted them, will see what they say. Unfortunately for session they only seem to sell the frontplate accessories

Belshaddon

Jun 18, 2016
I have also noticed this now, something i did not look at normally:

this is the interior of the side door, paint/spray seems to have peeled off from the inner edges

any one else experienced this? i bought this camera in April!

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
1999 Ihave a Mustek DV300 3500, 4500 model simular aluminum plating no problem Lol

I see what you mean? So yeah I thought I take a look at mine, and if I start to press it, one of the corners shows that movement, and not pronounced enough for the camera you can almost hear a click, but feel it move.(viewing via the macro of a cam WOW its all over!) Yeah now this is a issue, If the 3m layer of glue is giving that cover one day will fall off. It is just a cover. we all hope and nothing more.

Glue can not get to all the edging so I would say its normal. for some, and not for others. My camera has been in the Ocean once. in a pool once. and behind the windshield in strong heat. I have a micro spot of paint missing that can be seen after I start moving, in the center door edge.

I feel my camera will hold strong, and no worries here. I hope, Lol.

I would not take glue yet to reassure it, can damage that switch if it gets to it. Will gopro answer me?

My video

Gopro tech answers chat this is what I asked them

My name is Oliver. How can I help you?

Oliver the Hero 4 Session Back door plate, it's glued?

I'd be happy to answer that for you. To confirm, are you talking about the actual back plate on the camera (the same one the info/WiFi button is on)? Or are you asking about the side compartment door that covers the charging port and SD card slot?

Correct the Back door with the Select button on the botton, not the side door latch? Thanks. I do believe that is glued into place. I would definitely not recommend attempting to remove it as opening the camera up like that voids the warranty. Behind the back plate, it is sealed, correct?

Yes. It's sealed and waterproof, so as long as the side door on the camera is closed there should be nowhere that water can enter the camera.

Thank you. I hear some of these back plates are coming loose? where today the camera should have had a security bolt door?

I haven't heard of any of the back plates on the Session coming loose, though I suppose one could probably loosen it with a tool and some effort.

There is no backdoor for this camera, however, and I apologize for any confusion about that. We've never made or offered any kind of housing or door for the Session. Thank you for your time. appreciate the help

No problem at all. If there's nothing else for now then thanks for chatting in and have a great day!

Last edited:

Belshaddon

Jun 18, 2016
Hey fishycomics

Thank you very much for the video and chatting to gopro, i have sent them an email and await an answer on the issue, i know for a fact that the camera is completely sealed except if side door is open of course, so that is not an issue..it does however bug me that a backplate can be pressed and pryed, played around with like that. Anyone else can provide feedback as i bet this a more common issue than we imagine, people maybe don't realise.

This will help you see how the camera looks like when everything is removed, step 8 in particular shows how it looks like under the metal plate:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+Hero4+Session+Teardown/44307

About the side door fishy, do you have paint being removed internally (visible when door is open) like mine is in the pics i posted. You consider paint coming off like this after less than 2 months normal? I will be heading to shop tomorrow to show them this for possible replacement as i never had issues of the sort with my hero 3

Thank you once again for taking the time to check this out

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
I have on the edge which I feel is normal wearmicro spec, not noticeable no not on the inside at all.

Mine is PLAY not a flaw or issue.so I hope that like said don't pry, leave it be. but hot water, constant rinsing who knows can lift down the road, not tomorrow but who knows. I only opened my own topic for the video?

the chat is spot on like they said , don't fool with it

FRANTZESKOS

Jun 28, 2016
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM JUST SEND IT BACK FOR guarantee THEY WILL REPLACE IT

CHECK MY PROBLEM!! DSC_0042.jpg
WHERE I CAN FIND THIS METALLIC PLATE