Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

GoPro HERO9 Black: Here's what you need to know

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

AJ

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Alright, today is the day. The GoPro HERO9 Black is here.

GoPro's tagline for the HERO9 is "MORE EVERYTHING."

What's New & Exciting?
  • Front LCD Display
  • 30% More Battery compared to HERO8 Black
  • Detachable Lens
  • 5K Video Resolution
  • Price: $349.98 with GoPro Subscription and includes 32GB memory card ($449.99 without)
  • HyperSmooth 3.0 with built-in Horizon Levelling
  • Available MAX Lens Mod (extra $99.99)
  • TimeWarp 3.0
  • GoPro PowerTools
    • Duration
    • Hindsight
    • Scheduled Capture
GoPro-Hero9-Black-Edition-Front.png

Dual LCD Screens
A new front display serves up a live preview for easy selfie framing.
The large rear touch screen delivers intuitive control.

HyperSmooth 3.0
Features in-camera levelling and GoPro's most advanced stabilization ever.

8x Slow Motion
Capture at 240fps at 1080p

HindSight
From my understanding, as long as the camera is on, it will capture up to 30 seconds of footage before you hit the shutter button.

So if you missed something before hitting record, you'll still be able to record it.

5K Resolution
24 or 30 fps

4K at 60, 30 and 24 fps

Battery Performance

Their launch video mentions "powers through cold temps" so I'm not sure exactly what they've done to help unless it's simply the larger battery.

Waterproof to 33ft

More info to come..

blmeanie

Feb 4, 2013
was hoping for higher frame rates all over the place, other than 5k addition seems to be similar video performance. Battery life will be good and the dual lcd screens will be good too IMO

Reactions: AJ

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
All sounds great. 5K would mean a new Editors needed, and updates on computers if outdated, all sounds great, if you want to be in the game. Right now use what you got till a Hero 1.0 hits the market a 1-inch sensor what we all are waiting for, not another updated model that they offered with GoProlabs and crises demands, a webcam feature. The downside of this is the Same live stream definition but with hyper smooth, is it with hyper smooth 3.0 or Just on? again $500.00 spending not all have

Reactions: AJ

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
I've had my 9 for a couple of weeks now. I do quite a few time-lapse captures. For me the big gain is the ability to pre-schedule the start time and the duration of the capture.

So far it has worked flawlessly. Nothing worth posting. But it's a big deal for me for my time-lapse sessions.

Bill

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
A straight from the camera night lapse, via the GoPro media library. Southern Arizona.
A bit of the Milky Way is visible as well as Saturn and Jupiter.

Hero 9. 4K. Linear. 15 second shutter. ISO 1600. White balance 4500. About 2.5 hours. And used the scheduled start set for about an hour after sunset.

Hero 9 Night Lapse