Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

GoPro Hero3+ Silver - NO SD only when LCD Bacpac is connected

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
Hello colleagues,

Specifications:
Hero3+ Silver
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64gb
SanDisk Extreme 64gb
LCD Bacpac

I would like to ask you if somebody may have encountered this UFO scenario.
I am using my camera mounted in the card (only in the car) and recently i bought an LCD bacpac for the camera.
The problem that i am experiencing is only when the LCD is connected to the camera.
Meaning that if gives me the message on the camera "NO SD"
When i disconnect the LCD, the camera works fine.

Has anyone ever encountered with a problem like this ?

I will try this weekend to find some relevant info about this strange behavior and it i won't find anything, Monday will return the LCD back.
I would like to thank in advance all the colleagues who might help with any info until then.

Thank you,
Calin

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
That's the thing, without the LCD bacpac is working perfectly.
I have been using the camera without any LCD, until today when i bought the LCD and was so excited that finally i would see and manage the camera from the LCD and not from the app.
But it turned out not to be that great.

I have only 1 conclusion in my head... not enough power is being sent to the camera from the power charger lighter in the car.
But this theory i can only test it if i would have a more powerful charger, like 1 or 2 amps.

God knows... but this is the only scenario i could think of.
I think i will try to buy a 2A charger and see what is happening with that one.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
I hear ya. If that is the case I wonder if just using the camera's battery be good enough. I have the lcd from a hero 2 and no issues?

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
Well, the thing is that WITH the camera battery it works, but i don't wanna use it like this because the camera being mounted in my car, it will be exposed to high temperatures (especially in the summer) and having a battery inside the camera is not safe at all.

Another thing i noticed to enhance the limits of not understanding things :))
The gopro camera battery has 1180mAh which is aprox 1,2A.
The car charger i use now has 1A power so this made me think that maybe the actual car charger is not powerful enough to supply power to both camera and LCD.... theory :)

Now regarding the 2A car charger, i placed an order saturday for a charger, it will arrive on Monday and i will test my theory then.
IF even with the 2A charger it won't work... then i'm returning it because i have a 30days period of time until i can return the LCD.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
so let me get this right? gopro does not have battery. and you use the lcd backpack. and have it plugged into a usb port, that is now running your gopro that does not have a battery?

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
Yes, the gopro hero3+ silver is being used WITHOUT the battery inside it.
And i have 2 scenarios:
1. gopro without battery and without LCD connected to the Usb Car Charger = Working
2. gopro without battery and WITH LCD connected to USB Card Charger = NO SD message is displayed on the gopro screen

I received today the 2A USB Car Charger and i'll test when i get home :)

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Yes, the gopro hero3+ silver is being used WITHOUT the battery inside it.
And i have 2 scenarios:
1. gopro without battery and without LCD connected to the Usb Car Charger = Working
2. gopro without battery and WITH LCD connected to USB Card Charger = NO SD message is displayed on the gopro screen

I received today the 2A USB Car Charger and i'll test when i get home :)
Understood thanks.

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
haha it's not the LCD bacpac.

Forgot to mention that i still have my old camera, the Hero3 White and i tried also with that one.
And... surprise... the NO SD message is not displayed on the Hero3 White :)

About the 2A USB card charger, my theory didn't stand, it doesn't work also with the 2A charger... :(

I cannot think of anything else then to do a restore to factory defaults (if that's even possible) to the 3+ Silver OR to downgrade to an older firmware...

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
OK... i'm done, cannot do it anymore with this camera.

- did a hard reset
same behavior

- downgraded to 1.09 firmware
same behavior

- downgraded to 2.00 firmware
same behavior

Everything i tried until now, didn't had any effect :)

So i have only 1 more thing to do... use the waranty and send it to GoPro.
It's theirs, they build it, they handle it cause my nerves cannot deal anymore with this camera :)
I've had it, it just doesn't behave how it should.

Another thing what i am now trying to do, is to found somebody which has the same exact camera and test the LCD bacpac on it :)
I am very curious to see what happens :)

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
[MENTION=22211]Calin[/MENTION].

I thought I try mine a Hero 4 BE, lcd backpack a 800mah charger, a 1A charger a 10W by apple charger , a 2.0 powerbank, and a 2.1 powerbank.

I can turn on, record from 800Mah to 2.1amp, bust as soon as I plug in my lcd back, or have it on the cam, either way failure.

I can confirm it is failure for me. Personally I use my battery meant for gopro, and unlimited power since ownership, that be 2014 of October.

Hope that helped out. not going to video it if need be only a few willwatch. Lol.

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
yeah, thx for the assistance on this post ;)
But i think for me is finished, no more testings, i don't even have what to test anymore
Tried with a more powerful charger, didn't worked
Tried hard reset, didn't worked
Tried downgrading AND tried all old firmware's, didn't worked
So I've been running out of options
Last resort... Go Pro Warranty... click Send

Thanks a lot for the support ;)

Maybe, if it will happen to send it to warranty and if i manage to find out something from them, i'll update the post here
But don't know when that is going to happen
I have 24months warranty
So i have a lot of time to prep

Keep in touch ;)

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
well if removal of battery is important to you...

My Sony Cybershot needs a battery in order to have unlimited power. Lol

hope all works out\

FISH

Calin

Jul 15, 2016
the thing is that having a battery inside the camera is dangerous is not recommended at all, not safe at all
the heat that that comes upon the camera may affect the battery in such a way that it may explode and i don't want to take that chance :)

br,
Calin

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
then look for what is called a super-capacitor. to run your camera. made for the Mobius action camera made for what you want if the gopro is failure for running hot.

Mobius is made for the RC sport, check it out, Ebay it

tedfy

Jul 14, 2016
an interesting thread. I too have experienced similar things. and have not found the answer