Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

GoPro HERO 8 or HERO 7? Which would you buy?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

AJ

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Until the GoPro HERO 9 gets announced, I'm sure anyone who is looking for a new GoPro is going to have to tackle this decision at one point.

HERO7 or HERO8?

Would you go for the latest and greatest HERO8 or would you save some money and get the still very capable HERO7?

Interested to see what everyone thinks and their reasoning for going with one over the other.

IMG_0505 copy.JPG

AJ

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Montreal, Canada
The 8. (But I'm biased. I have two.) No need for a case. Better menus. More capture options. The GoPro Labs option is cool, too.
Good points.

I haven't had a chance to play around with GoPro Labs on my 8.

What's your level of concern about not being able to replace the protective lens cover?

If you have any nice shots captured with either one of your HERO8s, definitely post them up in our GoPro Picture Gallery

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
Good points.

I haven't had a chance to play around with GoPro Labs on my 8.

What's your level of concern about not being able to replace the protective lens cover?

If you have any nice shots captured with either one of your HERO8s, definitely post them up in our GoPro Picture Gallery
I try to be very careful with my camera. No action sports either. However, just in case, I subscribed to GoPro Plus after I purchased the 8s. It has some hardware replacement benefits. Which is kinda like an insurance policy. And I also like the automatic media backup.

Bill

Reactions: AJ

AJ

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I try to be very careful with my camera. No action sports either. However, just in case, I subscribed to GoPro Plus after I purchased the 8s. It has some hardware replacement benefits. Which is kinda like an insurance policy. And I also like the automatic media backup.

Bill
Good call on Plus. Great insurance policy like you mentioned plus a nice deal on mounts & accessories.

Reactions: basicbill

jaredphoto

Mar 12, 2013
California
www.youtube.com
Until the GoPro HERO 9 gets announced, I'm sure anyone who is looking for a new GoPro is going to have to tackle this decision at one point.

HERO7 or HERO8?

Would you go for the latest and greatest HERO8 or would you save some money and get the still very capable HERO7?

Interested to see what everyone thinks and their reasoning for going with one over the other.

View attachment 4495
Like what was mentioned before. GoPro Labs is a great incentive. My problem is that I have the Karma Grip and the 8 is not compatible and the 7 is. One could argue that with the HyperSmooth in the 8 you don't need a gimbal. I do like not needing a case for the 8 as well. I think I would still go with the 8.

Reactions: AJ

bovk

Jul 3, 2020
Hero 8 and save money on accessories. Just a spare battery, selfie stick and Chesty mount, that is it.