Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Garmin releases a GoPro clone

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
cmgpv2gv5u7qnpesfmha.jpg

Garmin has stopped trying. Meet the company’s new action camera: A clone of a GoPro. The company that innovated in the personal navigator space just announced the second generation of its action camera and it looks exactly like a GoPro.

The new Virb Ultra 30 packs the goods to record at 4k and allows the user to control its functions through voice commands. Just say “Okay Garmin” to have the camera start or stop recording or mark important events.

Like its predecessors, the Virb Ultra 30 packs an array of sensors that records data during the video recording. The info collected by the barometer, an accelerometer, a compass, a gyroscope, and GPS is then available to be overlaid on the recorded video so users can, you know, prove they were going as fast as they said they were. The performance data includes: speed, pace, altitude, G-forces, hang time, jump height, distance, grade, elevation, pitch, roll, course, bearing, and GPS coordinates

The camera is housed in a package that looks and feels just like a GoPro camera. It appears, like the previous generation, the housing even shares the same the same mounting configuration, which likely means Virb owners can buy and use GoPro accessories.

The Virb Ultra 30 is now available and retails for $500 — the same price as the 2-year old GoPro Hero 4 Black.

It’s hard to blame Garmin for lifting GoPro’s iconic design. GoPro’s overwhelming market domination forced the rest of the industry to follow its design cues. Spend a couple of minutes on Amazon, or worse, Alibaba. The market is flooded with cheap GoPro clones. I expected more from Garmin, though.

Garmin releases a GoPro clone

SPECIFICATIONS
Display: LCD touchscreen display
Camera: 6 element wide-angle lens with f/2.6 aperture, 1.55um pixels, capable of 12 megapixel still images and 4K/30fps or 720p240fps slow motion video
Wireless connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth, ANT+
Storage: microSD expansion card slot supporting up to 128GB
Sensors: GPS, accelerometer, barometer, gyro, and compass
Battery: 1250 mAh removable
Water resistance: Up to 40 meters in waterproof enclosure
Dimensions: 43.1 x 57.5 x 20.4 mm and 88 grams
Dimensions in waterproof housing: 57.7 x 79 x 33.5 mm and 155 grams

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Well seems like old school tactics here. gopro get your act together hero 5 is tomorrow. or not?

voice command I can live without the camera is in hand I am not lazy Lol.

p fandango

Jul 5, 2015
no mention of image stabilization, otherwise i'd say they've released the Hero 5 before GoPro has lol

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
lol yeah, I don't really care about the whole voice commands thing, but image stabilization is definitely something I would like to see how good it is.

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
so do I plug hte cam in to the pc and say Download file, it will download, or will I still be waiting

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Not me. if they want me I will. I be the camera wil ltell me watch out you're being recorded going into the lake

Rallybri

Jul 18, 2014
Park City, UT
I'm looking forward to getting both of the new GoPros. That being said, I recently purchased this new Virb and like it a lot. Video quality is quite good, as is the voice recognition. The ability to overlay the GPS data, as well as hook up external sensors, is fantastic for my use as an I car camera for the rally car. The voice activation, I thought would be more of a gimmick, but it will be great for starting the recording w/o need for a remote, as it is quite sensitive and has no problem recognizing commands.

Does it have a similar form factor? Yes. Is it a GoPro knockoff? Uh, no and dismissing it as such shows zero knowledge of either product.