Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Fogging issues?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

Corn Hair

Sep 1, 2013
I use to get a lot of fogging issues with my GoPro 3+ and 4 due to the hoeing. Is this pretty much a non issue now that it is a waterproof camera instead of in a housing?

TobyB

Jun 8, 2014
Arlington, WA
www.youtube.com
GoPro makes anti-fog strips for housing, I've never used them as fogging has never been a problem. Is the camera case and camera dry when sealing them up?

With the 5 and sessions, no case is required at minimal depths.

FundyBrian

May 30, 2017
Alma, New Brunswick, Canada, eh?
I use to get a lot of fogging issues with my GoPro 3+ and 4 due to the hoeing. Is this pretty much a non issue now that it is a waterproof camera instead of in a housing?
I, too, have experienced fogging inside the housing when the wind is cold but the sun is warm. I tried the anti-fog strips and found then slightly helpful. What I do now is make sure there is no excess humidity accumulated in the camera. I bought a 1 lb. box of silica gel. It was a kit made for drying flowers. I wrapped the silica gel in a cloth bag to keep the dust out of the camera. Put the camera, housing, and silica gel bag in a sealed plastic container. Actually, I always keep the silica gel bag in the plastic container to prevent it from accumulating moisture from the air. The night before my outing I put the camera in the housing but leave it open and put them both in the plastic container with the silica gel. Snap the housing closed as soon as you open the container. So far it works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corn Hair

Sep 1, 2013
I'm going to have to try that. I live in Hawaii and just going outside the humidity starts to cause the housing to fog up. Silica gel sounds like it would work. Thanks.

FundyBrian

May 30, 2017
Alma, New Brunswick, Canada, eh?
I'm going to have to try that. I live in Hawaii and just going outside the humidity starts to cause the housing to fog up. Silica gel sounds like it would work. Thanks.
I have heard/read that keeping cameras humidity free in tropical areas is a continuing struggle. The camera itself can be full of humid air which will come out inside the housing and cause fog. A camera full of humid air can develop fungus on inside lens elements or corrosion on inside camera parts. Keep cameras in sealed containers with silica gel packets to absorb moisture.
Considering the types of environments we typically use GoPro cameras it's not surprising that humidity is a problem.
I also sometimes use a can of compressed "dust-off" with the plastic nozzle tube to displace the air inside the housing. With the camera in the housing but the housing still open just 1/8" I insert the spray nozzle and try to displace the air in the housing with the super dry gas from the spray can. Then snap the housing shut before any air gets back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk