Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Do most of you use GoPro studio from start to finish?

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

welshrobbo

Jun 8, 2015
Hi,

I am interested in what people tend to use to edit their videos as there's so much info about. Some use Studio to convert to cineform and then use those files in Premiere/FCP. Some use Gopro Studio all the way through. Others convert the compressed mp4 to ProRes then use FCP.

So much experience on here just really interested on things you have picked up and what you feel is best for you.

Thanks

welshrobbo

Jun 8, 2015
I've never used Studio. Take files directly from gopro to imovie
Thanks for this, I only use GoPro Studio as I want the highest quality so I decompress the mp4 to Cineform for max quality. Ive found the difference in quality to be vast but there is differing opinions. I guess it depends what you do with the final video.

blmeanie

Feb 4, 2013
can you elaborate on the decompressing? I've never had issue with the gopro footage, did a quick search after reading your reply and not sure I am getting a lesser quality but maybe I am.

welshrobbo

Jun 8, 2015
can you elaborate on the decompressing? I've never had issue with the gopro footage, did a quick search after reading your reply and not sure I am getting a lesser quality but maybe I am.
Of course, the MP4 files are compressed on the sdcard so they can be handled but to get the maximum quality you need to unwrap them. Using GoPro studio will convert them to cineform which is an industry standard format. You will find the converted files larger but much better to handle within editing tools.

Some take the MP4 files and convert them to prores422 which is the another version of the same quality but works well with apple so might be better to use within imovie.

Hope this helps

Corn Hair

Sep 1, 2013
I used it once or twice but never anymore. I am a premiere pro CC user and I take the raw footage straight over. I do all my color correction and editing in Premiere Pro. The studio is simple and easy but I found myself wanting to do much more with my video and therefore needed a more powerful program.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Of course, the MP4 files are compressed on the sdcard so they can be handled but to get the maximum quality you need to unwrap them. Using GoPro studio will convert them to cineform which is an industry standard format. You will find the converted files larger but much better to handle within editing tools.

Some take the MP4 files and convert them to prores422 which is the another version of the same quality but works well with apple so might be better to use within imovie.

Hope this helps
A couple of things. Cineform is not a format, Quicktime MOV is a format, just like AVI, WMV, MP4, etc. Now, these videos use H.264 video codec, which is the most common compression codec used for video now a days. While the video format do help a little with quality allowing more or less compression, unfortunately media that was originally created with H.264 codec won't improve video quality even if converted using Apple ProRes 422. If GoPro would allowed to select what codec to use would make the difference.

FundyBrian

May 30, 2017
Alma, New Brunswick, Canada, eh?
I use Final Cut Pro X (on Mac) for all my video projects. Occasionally I import my GoPro video using Studio but then move the imported files over to Final Cut Pro X. I have not fully explored this yet but I suspect Studio might be better prepared to deal with GoPro lens distortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk