Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

DJI Mavic Pro drone

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
So, DJI now released a small folding drone to compete with the Karma. I kind of figured this was going to happen, but I wasn't sure how soon it would. For $200 more than the Karma you get a relatively smaller drone with the obstacle avoidance, ActiveTrack, TapFly and other smart features that the Karma doesn't have. You also get an extra 5 miles of speed. About 7 extra minutes of flight. And a smaller controller.

Now, considering the Karma is $200 less than the Mavic Pro and it includes a detachable gimbal, a grip handler, and a backpack, plus the possibilities of using your GoPro cameras, this brings the question, what do you guys think, and in the event you are planning on getting a drone, which would you get?

And remember, the Phantom 4 is now $1,199.00 USD, not to mention the Phantom 3 Standard is running for about $461.50 USD

You can visit their website for more info here DJI Mavic Pro

4wd

Feb 13, 2016
They have also managed to boost range over 4 miles which is amazing.
However some of the video I've seen is somewhat disappointing compared to Phantom 3 and Phantom 4.
If you already have a Hero 4/5 the Karma is still possibly better option.
The tracking-type features are less useful than they seem and you really have to trust it a lot to use them!

This smaller form which can almost be carried in a (big!) pocket is a great leap forward as is the much quicker set up time.
Karma possibly still has the edge there with no need to attach your phone - although you can fly the DJI 'blind' using controller only.

Privateer

Apr 8, 2015
UK
Whilst I already have a Hero 3+ Black, I will probably soon get a Hero 5 Black. As for a drone, well yes I'd love one but whether I can justify getting one is a different matter. However as I'd probably already have the Hero 5 Black before I got a drone then I would be inclined to buy the Karma for the total GoPro integration of products and also for the detachable gimbal as well. Though I would like to see obstacle avoidance on the Karma.

Regards,
Robert.

GeorgeSlade

Feb 1, 2016
England
www.youtube.com
I like the look of both, drones however, like you say you get a hand held gimbal etc. there is no reason gopro couldnt add a lot of features with software ie. auto flight patterns on top of what it comes with, and theoretically they could add obsitcle avoidance at a later date with a arm upgrade as the arms on the karma are going to be user replacable they could add sensors into the arms for your to attach yourself!

POTENTIAL ...... still going to get Karma I think!

TobyB

Jun 8, 2014
Arlington, WA
www.youtube.com
Think the Karma is a better option especially if a person already owns a GoPro. The range is nice yet videographers say they rarely fly out of line-of-sight. I'm on the fence if either one is worth the money to upgrade too.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Interestingly enough, Casey made a mistake on that video that [MENTION=4246]blmeanie[/MENTION] posted. It seems a new feature with the Mavic is the option to tap on the phone's screen to focus. This is why Casey's comparison looked so different. I found out about this because of a reply this guy left and made reference to his video where he tested the camera. Here's the video

[/B]

4wd

Feb 13, 2016
I'm sure the still and video quality is very similar to Phantom 4 and better than Phantom 3 once you understand this simple new feature.
The Neistat video has been widely taken as evidence of soft video from it, considering how (curiously) popular his channel is DJI can't be happy!
Nonetheless they are probably already snowed in with orders.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm sure the still and video quality is very similar to Phantom 4 and better than Phantom 3 once you understand this simple new feature.
The Neistat video has been widely taken as evidence of soft video from it, considering how (curiously) popular his channel is DJI can't be happy!
Nonetheless they are probably already snowed in with orders.
That's very true. I'm hoping Casey post a new video clarifying the whole tap to focus because of the impact it could have on thousands of his millions of followers. It's a very important issue since people won't want to get a drone with a camera you can't change and video quality is not sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishycomics

Oct 7, 2012
Casey is great but he needs to stop treating his stuff like trash, oh I get it break it get new from promoters and sponsors. Luv his work do not get mewrong.

This person does a great job and a few others as well. enjoy.

Agree if that is his passion he get that video out there A.S.A.P. no he just flies it and its corrected. down the road he will advice again...

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
I've been wanting to get a drone for a while, and with the new ones available now (since the Phantom 4 used to be my only choice), I need to figure out which one would be the best option for me.

FeaturesKarmaMavic
Price:$799.99 (plus tax?)$999.00 (tax included)
AccessoriesGimbal + BackpackNone
Flight Time20 min27 min
Max Speed35 mph40 mph
Range1.8 mile4.3 miles
Max Altitude14,500 feet16,404 feet
StabilizerDetachable GimbalFixed Gimbal
Video4K4K
CameraBlack 4, 5 & Session 5Fixed Camera
Smart FeaturesNoYes

What I would use a drone for?
Leisure, hiking, off-road/mountain biking

Would I need/use a gimbal?
I could use one when mountain biking but I don't like the idea of wearing something extra on my chest mount besides the camera. Other than that, I don't see myself walking around when traveling with a gimbal. So no, I don't need one.

When doing what I would use the drone for, do I want to carry a big backpack or a small backpack?
Whether mountain biking or hiking, I try to use a small backpack. Any extra space I use it for water.

Do I have anyone I can trust to use the drone when shooting video of me while riding bicycle or hiking?
Absolutely NOT

Would I need/take advantage of smart features like obstacle avoidance, activetrack, tap fly?
Since I wouldn't trust people to fly my drone, not only because people who don't know how to fly one can crash it, not everyone knows how to properly keep in frame a subject or moving subject, I would definitely use this option.

While GoPro could easily come up with a new firmware that might be able to track a subject, this isn't an option at the moment and the drone still won't be able to avoid obstacles.

I do like the fact I can use GoPro cameras with the Karma, but I only own a 3+ Silver and a Session 4 which aren't compatible with the Karma, and while I want to buy a Session 5, I would still be limited to use this camera with the Karma while I could use the camera on me or around me during riding bicycle or hiking.

With that said, I still like the option to switch cameras if needed, something that DJI doesn't allow. Also, propellers can be an issue with the Mavic as I saw on a video, something I don't have to worry with the Karma.

Based on all of these, I think the Mavic will be a better option for me, even though it is $199.01 (and probably taxes on top of that for the Karma) more than the Karma (plus I don't get the gimbal, that although I won't use it, it is still considered more for your money).

Anyway, this is my reasoning. I really was aiming for the Karma until DJI unveiled their Mavic.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
I think your session 4 works with the karma
I would think it does since it is the same size, but the Session 4 uses micro USB, and if I'm not mistaken the Karma uses USB-C, I'm sure there will be an adapter for that, but I'm not sure why GoPro's website only mentions the Session 5 and not the Session 4

Still, all seems to point me to the Mavic

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 5.59.34 PM.jpg

blmeanie

Feb 4, 2013
What about the phantom 3 as an option? I am looking at packages with the 3 and extra batteries for similar price to karma

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
[MENTION=4246]blmeanie[/MENTION] a package definitely sounds like a great option, but part of the things I'm taking into consideration is the size and obstacle avoidance feature. That's why Karma and Mavic are my top options. If in the future I want another drone just for professional use, there's always the Phantom 4 option or the Inspire Pro.

4wd

Feb 13, 2016
I wouldn't consider obstacle avoidance essential, I've had Phantom 1. 2 and 3 without actually hitting anything, though I do typically get up reasonably high ASAP where there's nothing to hit!
Phantom 3 stills and video are only marginally 'worse' than P4.

It's annoying how they keep changing the battery design, and a couple of spares are an almost essential - and expensive - requirement.
Battery performance begins to dwindle after a couple of years anyway but a lot must only get charged 10 or 20 times, making cost per flight rather shocking if it's worked out.

RebelPro

Mar 25, 2014
Miami, FL
[MENTION=21470]4wd[/MENTION] for me obstacle avoidance would be essential if I'm having the drone follow me as I'm riding my mountain bike lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk