Quantcast
Love GoPro?
Join Today and become a GoPro Fanatic.
Join Today

Best software/tips

• August 2020 Update: a message from the GoProFanatics founder and how you can help shape our Community.
    Read it now.

memers1

Aug 23, 2020
does anyone suggest a software for clipping and editing videos, as well as stitching several together to create continuous video? Should I use my Dell laptop, buy a dedicated chromebook or iPad?

Reactions: AJ

basicbill

Feb 26, 2013
St. Charles, IL USA
www.basicbill.com
does anyone suggest a software for clipping and editing videos, as well as stitching several together to create continuous video? Should I use my Dell laptop, buy a dedicated chromebook or iPad?
There are many good video editing programs out there. I suppose the hardware depends on what you anticipate doing. Long or short GoPro clips? 4K? Producing YouTube and/or Facebook content?

Your Dell can probably handle the above if it is relatively new with decent specs.

I use a Desktop PC and occasionally a laptop for my editing. I have a Chormebook, but never use it for video editing except for the simplest jobs.

As for editing software.... there are a whole bunch out there. From free like DaVinci Resolve to pricey like Adobe Premiere Pro. I use Vegas Pro, probably because I've been using it for over 10 years and resist change. I've also been using PowerDirector recently for my 360 projects.

Many video editors have free trials so you can check a few out before committing.

Good luck. Video editing can be fun once you get the hang of it.

Bill

Reactions: AJ

AJ

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Montreal, Canada
@basicbill provided an excellent reply.

Depends how much time you want to invest and how customized you want the final result to be.

Using something like Adobe Premiere Pro CC for example has a bit of a learning curve to it but you can create some really amazing and professional-looking edits.

You could also use free software like Microsoft Movie Maker. I'm sure your Dell is capable of putting together a basic 1080p video edit. Beware of 4K since it can be difficult for some computers to handle. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and it really slows down.

You could maybe search YouTube for some beginner tutorials to get an idea of what's involved to make a video with a particular piece of software, pick one and create a video.

Also, don't discount the power of editing on your phone using GoPro's Quik app.

bovk

Jul 3, 2020
To see if you like pro level editor you may find tutorial for DaVinchy Resolve Cut Page. The Cut Page is a new feature and is as easy to use as for instance Premiere Elements. It is free and as far as computer requirements you may check
or just try to install Resolve, it will tell you if it will install on your computer.