User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

External power charger stops charging?

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver, Lexar 300x 64GB SD card and a Kodiak 6000 mAh external charger. I purchased the SD card and charger today and decided to test it. I saw an article saying a 6000 mAh charger provided 17 hours of GoPro usage. According to GoPro's website a 64GB SD card should last 5:53 when set to 720 30fps.

Anyways here's the issue. The camera front screen said 5 hours and 54 mins was available. With the GoPro and external charger, the SD card should be the limiting factor. I check it 5 hours later and find it's already dead. It died after 2 hours and 24 mins. I unplugged the Kodiak external charger and plugged it back into the camera and it's charging it now. Does anyone have any ideas why it might have died so fast and not taken the external power? The external power is still showing almost full and it showed it was charging when I left it for the test. Sorry for the long post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each 1000 mah equils an hour, 6000 would get you 6 hours. I doubt you get 17 hours. I run a Vaas 5400 mah dual external charger.

Check the ports, the charger, if you actually started the cam, if it has an auto off etc. not sure why it did not function.
    Lets make this a better place once again.

Proud sponsors of CMR Ifootage.com Feiyu-tech.com, Cyberlink Powerdirector 12U. Smatree Dealextreme.com. Newmawa.com, magix.com, Xshot.com. Always helpful and forgive my working hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the answer. I'm going to test it again today just to double check it. I thought 17 hours sounded excessive but I know it definitely should have not died after 2.5 hours of recording.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The time you see on the gopro screen is the remaining recording time on the sd-card, it has nothing to do with the power supply.
    Gopro (and most other USB-powered devices) switch OFF automatically when the voltage of the power supply drops below a certain value.
    Cheap external USB power supplies (regardless of their capacity) tend to do this at a verry short time. Power supplies with only 1A or 1.5A (1000mA or 1500mA) certified output current tend to do this even faster.
    I've seen powerbanks that did not even reach 5V fully charged and unused.
    A cheap way to test any 5V USB power supply:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Black...8-57c9d0e4e76b

furthermore:
    The standard efficiency rating of external battery packs currently on the market is 70 percent. This means that 30 percent of the battery’s listed capacity is consumed while charging up devices. So, for example, a standard 1000mAh battery would effectively deliver 700mAh of energy.
    Last edited by TriBar; 03-20-2017 at 06:15 AM.